Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What should I do?

Posted by tdhawks Nebraska (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 18:19

Hey guys -

So, last fall I overseeded a fescue mix and watered like crazy. The yard looked great before winter and I am hoping it will look just as good this spring.

However, this winter has been very dry with little precipitation, especially in our area.

Most of the yard is in great shape, however, there are a few spots that have been beaten up pretty bad with my dog roaming the yard. Due to it being so dry, his claws just ripped up the yard along my fence line.

How should I approach this?

Would it be ideal to see what the yard looks like when spring gets here? Or, should I toss some seed on there now or in a month or so? Clearly, spring isn't the best time to overseed, but it is just in a few spots and not the entire yard.

I appreciate the feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What should I do?

Here's another shot of the lawn. It is pretty bare in some areas. Damn dog.

o

The dog is so cute and it's really a small area :-) I have no idea how to repair the area, just love your dog!

o

I'd at least try seeding those spots. When you say "practically bare", that sounds to me like, "open invitation for weeds".

Just keep in mind that (you already know) seeding in spring means no pre-emergent (unless it's mesotrione) and the regular watering to establish--and more water to nurse it through summer if/when it gets hot & dry.

Also, folks smarter than me might chime in with suggestions on different cultivars of fescue that might hold up better to your four-legged friend.

o

Any other ideas, my lawn looks the same way with two dogs.

o

The dog will likely always tear up the area by the fence. I would put several inches of mulch in there for him/her to rest on. It isn't grass but I'm afraid it will always be mud otherwise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here