Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
henbit headache!!

Posted by walt1 7 a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 18:31

Hello Everyone,
This time of the year the ugly Henbit appears, and this year more it seems because of the mild Winter we�ve had.
In previous years�.of course I sprayed (use Speedzone) and if not mistaken last year sprayed twice.

QUESTION:
Is there an ideal time to attack Henbit so as not to have to put down two applications?
I live in Zone 7a, Virginia

Thanks,

Walt1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: henbit headache!!

I can't help you with a rememdy but I can tell you that I have the exact same problem. I sprayed dimension in the fall and surflan in the spring. It seems as though the mild winter here (OK) allowed the henbit to germinate directly between my standard spray pattern. Thankfully, it's the first weed to go when you take a low mower blade to it. It doesn't change the fact that my yard looked terrible this past month. I'm going to up my dimension application rate (still within the label guidelines!) this fall to see if it'll provide longer coverage. Of course, if you're willing, a good dousing of glyphosate on the dormant bermuda wouldn't hurt...but, I'm kind of opposed to that when a little heat and a few cuts will clear it up in my yard.

o

One more tidbit: weedalert.com states that henbit germinates (on average) in December in your area and November in my area. Of course, that's subject to soil temps and other factors. I'll have to go check my notes but I thought I had preEm down in early Nov.

o

If you don't have much henbit, it is just about the weakest plant on Earth. You can pull it out very easily.

o

Lovethempokes wrote:
....henbit germinates (on average) in December in your area and November in my area

You're lucky. Last year, henbit started sprouting in September in my backyard.

And lots of little new ones have been sprouting this month, especially in grass-seeded bare spots that I've been watering. Wow, henbit loves water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here