Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gurvy

Help with new lawn

Gurvy
10 years ago

Have a new lawn that was put in with the new build last year. The builder used poor contractor grade seed that did not take well. Had my lawn guy aerate and overseeded (sun and shade seed from local nursery) in the fall. Scott's also came by to give us an estimate for a fertilization schedule and part of it said that I will need to add Lime and will need nutrients (I am assuming needs more fertilizer to be placed). Needless to say, their estimate is too expensive and will try myself first.

Now that Spring is here, I was thinking about over-seeding again with Pennington or Scotts KBG blend (thats what I really want). However, I have a dilemma: I was thinking about putting down the lime pellets prior to a rain so it seeps into the ground, then a few days later adding the Scotts Fertilizer with HALTS weed preventer (had many weeds per Scott's assessment in September), followed by the KBG seed.

I went to HD and "the guy" said that this will prevent any grass seed from growing as well. He suggested to use the New Lawn Fertilizer and then overseeding, then put the weed killer that Scott's makes later in the spring/early summer.

Is that going to be an issue with the seeding if the weed preventer is placed? Can someone tell me what is the best option for me?

I don't mind waiting to overseed till the fall again as I am hoping that the seed put in last fall will take and can just add some seed as needed to cover patches for this season.

Comments (3)