Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Lawn is in dire need of help

Posted by Robbnva Maryland (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 19:08

Hi I am new here and hopefully can get some advice. I live in a townhouse in Maryland and have had issues with my back yard since we moved in 8 years ago and every year it's something new. My current issue for the past 2 years is nothing seems to grow but weeds. Last season we paid a guy to re-seed my lawn but he did a crappy job, not my lawn is full of weeds (mostly the ones with the purple flowers) and where there are no weeds there are tons of bald spots with moss (or what looks like moss)

I am not sure what the best avenue is to solve this problem. Part of me wants to roundup the entire thing and re-plant seed in the fall, but the other part of me wants to actually have a useable yard this summer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

on a side not, if someone can just throw out a name of a good seed to patch bald spots for my front yard, that would be awesome too.

Sorry if I left out something, i'll check back often cause I want to get started on the yard this weekend while it's not too hot and not too cool.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Lawn is in dire need of help

There may be a simple explanation... He may have fertilized and amended your lawn - and the weeds that were already there sprang up....

What sort of grass do you have? Have you had a soil test done to determine what's deficient?

In the short term - use a cheap, broad leaf weed killer product on the weeds... You want something that contains 2-4-D - NOT something that says it kills grass... That will knock out the majority of the "Salad fixin's"

The next thing is to start mowing regularly at the right height.....

Thanks

o

It's tall fescue grass

o

The right height would be your mower's highest setting to keep the most weeds out.

Proper watering is key to keeping weeds away. If you allow the surface of the soil to dry out completely between watering, you can stop the weeds that require daily water to germinate. Most weeds are like that. So if you are watering once a month right now in your area, that is about right. Look to go to once every 3 weeks and then every 2 weeks in April and May. In the hottest heat of summer you should be watering once a week. Note that you will have to apply water for a long time (usually) to get enough to last all month. And let Mother Nature do Her part. If She provides an inch, you won't need to water.

o

Moss and violets you say?

That means it's wet/damp/soggy and shady/lacks sunshine.
(how's my crystal ball working tonight?)
That's not the fault of anyone. Cut that seed guy some slack.

Install a shade garden instead.
Work with mother nature, not fight mother nature.
It's your property - your responsibly. That guy did what you asked him to do.

o

actually my yard gets full sun light and it's not violets it's more like the example given below

thanks for the advice everyone

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed example

o

Ok, then you have henbit and ____, what? Because moss does not grow in full sunlight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here