Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bermuda tips

Posted by cowboytruckn Broken Arrow, OK (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 19:41

I have a bermuda lawn and am really wanting to treat it right this year. I have already applied Scotts Turfbuilder plus weed control for my early spring feeding.

I use a Troy Built mower that has 10 settings that I have set on five. Any taller and it grows ugly and any lower it looks yellow. I think I have found a happy medium.

We got a good rain about 3 weeks ago and today was my first mowing. Starting to really get green but still muddled and highs are around 85 right now. From now on I have once a week mowings until the summer heat when I go to two or three mowings a week. I am giving it a good watering to let it get moisture then I am done for almost three weeks or so.

I hear to use a early spring fertilizer (now and done!), late spring (when?), summer (when?), and a fall with weed control (Late September). Sound correct? Any other advice is welcomed. I am wanting to overseed but when if spring and fall fertilzer has weed killer in it?

Last year from mid June til August we got no rain, this was a new house with sod planted layed first week of June as you can guess my water bill was outrageous. (My wife was pi$$ed). I didn't get to fertilize any except for the fall because I didn't want to hurt with too much fertilizer on stressed grass. I put a coat of starter fertilizer when they layed sod (recommenced by Scotts customer service).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bermuda tips

Do a search for the Bermuda Bible posted on another Forum, download and read it. I twill answer all your questions in detail, and answer questions you have not asked.

o

Thanks for the reply. A lot of info there! I'm am going to actually have to study that a little bit.

One little quick thing I just read about does anybody know about preemergence herbicide? The only thing I am familiar with is Scotts fertilizer plus Halts.

o

for a preemergence herbicide i use Amaze. You may have something else in your area. Bermuda likes Fert every 30-45 days.

o

Do not use Halts. It is nasty stuff and has a half life of 30 to 45 days.

Use either AMAZE, or products that use Dimension or Barricade. AMAZE has a half life of 120 days, Dimension and Barricade have a half life of 90 days.

If you use AMAZE apply it every 4 months, and 3 months for both Dimension and Barricade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here