Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Which do you do first? Lime or Fertilize

gardenbug
13 years ago

Zone 8a~ Fraser Valley, BC

I just purchased a bag of dolopril lime and Scotts fertilizer but I'm not sure which to do first? Do you wait between each application? (how long?) Should this be done in the morning, shady day? sunny day? I could really use some help on this. I would like to know what everyone else does please.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (13)

• tiemco
    13 years ago

The first question is, why are you liming? Did you get a soil test or is the soil in Fraser Valley, BC generally acidic? If so, then would it be better to use dolomitic lime or calcitic lime? Again a soil test would tell you that. Lime and fertilzer shouldn't be applied together, as you can get some interaction between the two. Lime doesn't have to be watered in (but it won't dissolve unless it's wet), whereas fertilzer (synthetic anyway) should always be watered in. Two weeks is the general recommendation of time between applications of the two. I'm not very familiar with BC's climate and fertilizer timings, but if your soil is very acidic I would probably lime first. Lime generally takes quite a while to affect the soil and raise pH. Lesco (not sure if you have those in Canada) carries Cal-Turf pro and Mag-Turfpro which works much faster than regular lime, and it isn't much more in price. Hope this helps.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi tiemco,
    Yes, this is very helpful. The soil is definitely acidic in my area. I'll lime first, wait two weeks like you say and then fertilize. I have not heard of Lesco but I can check around to see if those products are available here. Thanks again tiemco.

• tiemco
    13 years ago

No problem, but I would get the soil test done. If your Ca:Mg ratio is out of whack, applying the incorrect lime will make it even worse. Too much Mg will tighten up your soil, too much Ca isn't ideal either. If now is the time to fertilze, then I would take soil samples, fertilize, get the soil test back, and then lime depending on what the test says. Most tests take a week or two to get back and by that time all the fertilizer will have dissolved into the soil by then.

• goren
    13 years ago

Some people lime their lawns as a matter of regular routine. Since we all use high nitrogen, making the average lawn acidic to some degree, giving it some lime can only do good as long as we don't over-do.
    A bag or two of lime used in spring will reduce some degree of high acidity.
    There should be a waiting time, about 3 weeks, giving one or the other.
    Too, lime bags should be kept up off a cement floor...as in a garage, preferably on a wood shelf or pallet.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! what side of the bed did you get out of this morning? lol
    First, no where did I say that I 'resist' getting my soil tested. I simply asked which do you do first? Lime or Fertilize. Even if I did have my soil tested, I'd still want to which to do first assuming a soil test confirmed I needed to lime the lawn.

• nazareno75
    9 years ago

Hey guys! Not much of a green thumb guy, but I was reading the remarks above and was wondering after you lime and fertilize how long does it take after when you can put seed down

• beckyinrichmond
    9 years ago

If you have a cool season grass, like Kentucky bluegrass, tall rescue, or rye, it's best to do most of your fertilization in the fall. Don't fertilize in early spring; you can do a light fertilization around late May or even none at all. But save most of it for the fall. If you fertilize now you may have to mow several times a week to avoid cutting off more than 1/3 of the leaf at a time. You will be encouraging leaf growth (not needed in the spring as it grows fast then anyway) at the expense of the roots. Do a soil test before liming and get it interpreted. Like Tiemco said, you might need calcitic lime instead of dolomitic lime. A soil test will tell you how much and what kind. Seeding of cool season grasses should be done in late summer/early fall.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Nazarino, so much was left out of the replies to this issue. Assuming you already applied lime (following your soil test which told you how much to apply and which kind of lime) and you fertilized (because you live in a time zone fully 2 months in the future because you should not be fertilizing in the early spring), then you should wait a full 4-5 months to put down seed. Why? Because spring is a horrible time to seed a lawn. The only worse time is summer unless you're seeding bermuda. Early fall is an excellent time to seed. If you can live with your lawn for the rest of the season, you'll be far ahead for next year if you seed in late August or early Sept. If you seed now you'll be expecting to have a nice lawn all summer and you won't.

Where do you live?

What kind of grass do you have?

What is your watering regimen (how often and for how long)?

What fertilizer are you using?

• nazareno75
    9 years ago

I live in Maryland. The land use to be an old chicken farm so the soil is acidic. I had some soil sample done at the local Harding store and they said the PH level was around 6

• nazareno75
    9 years ago

Hardware*

• nazareno75
    9 years ago

I haven't used any yet there so many different kind just don't know what the best one for my yard.

• nazareno75
    9 years ago

I have a lot if kids that play in the yard so in need some grass seed that can stand traffic volume. Can you guess recommend and good brand of grass seed