Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which do you do first? Lime or Fertilize

Posted by cadence 8a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 19:50

Zone 8a~ Fraser Valley, BC

I just purchased a bag of dolopril lime and Scotts fertilizer but I'm not sure which to do first? Do you wait between each application? (how long?) Should this be done in the morning, shady day? sunny day? I could really use some help on this. I would like to know what everyone else does please.
Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which do you do first? Lime or Fertilize

The first question is, why are you liming? Did you get a soil test or is the soil in Fraser Valley, BC generally acidic? If so, then would it be better to use dolomitic lime or calcitic lime? Again a soil test would tell you that. Lime and fertilzer shouldn't be applied together, as you can get some interaction between the two. Lime doesn't have to be watered in (but it won't dissolve unless it's wet), whereas fertilzer (synthetic anyway) should always be watered in. Two weeks is the general recommendation of time between applications of the two. I'm not very familiar with BC's climate and fertilizer timings, but if your soil is very acidic I would probably lime first. Lime generally takes quite a while to affect the soil and raise pH. Lesco (not sure if you have those in Canada) carries Cal-Turf pro and Mag-Turfpro which works much faster than regular lime, and it isn't much more in price. Hope this helps.

o

Hi tiemco,
Yes, this is very helpful. The soil is definitely acidic in my area. I'll lime first, wait two weeks like you say and then fertilize. I have not heard of Lesco but I can check around to see if those products are available here. Thanks again tiemco.

o

No problem, but I would get the soil test done. If your Ca:Mg ratio is out of whack, applying the incorrect lime will make it even worse. Too much Mg will tighten up your soil, too much Ca isn't ideal either. If now is the time to fertilze, then I would take soil samples, fertilize, get the soil test back, and then lime depending on what the test says. Most tests take a week or two to get back and by that time all the fertilizer will have dissolved into the soil by then.

o

Some people lime their lawns as a matter of regular routine. Since we all use high nitrogen, making the average lawn acidic to some degree, giving it some lime can only do good as long as we don't over-do.
A bag or two of lime used in spring will reduce some degree of high acidity.
There should be a waiting time, about 3 weeks, giving one or the other.
Too, lime bags should be kept up off a cement floor...as in a garage, preferably on a wood shelf or pallet.

o

I will never understand why some people resist soil tests. They almost always save more money than they cost, by avoiding applying nutrients and minerals to the soil that are already at adequate levels. When I press people on the question, many blurt out "well, my father never tested his soil and he did OK". Dear ol' Dad wasn't paying $55 a bag for fertilizer, either. If you are resisting because you don't know how to interpret the results, there are websites that do it for you every day and every night - for free. Save the bucks and make smarter use of the money you do spend.

o

Wow! what side of the bed did you get out of this morning? lol
First, no where did I say that I 'resist' getting my soil tested. I simply asked which do you do first? Lime or Fertilize. Even if I did have my soil tested, I'd still want to which to do first assuming a soil test confirmed I needed to lime the lawn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here