Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clumps of grass (or bad roots over winter?)

Posted by gaetanol z6NY (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 08 at 20:01

I have noticed areas of my lawn up to 3 sq ft where my grass is being pulled up very easily, even by a strong leaf blower. It looks like the roots have been eaten away, sort of like you might get with grubs in the summer. I did not have this problem at the end of the fall, I'm only seeing it now.

Are grubs active over the winter? Is there some other pest that can explain this loose grass? This is my 5th spring in this house and I never had this problem before, so it's hard to think that it is a natural part of getting over the winter. The winter in my area was milder than usual--not sure if that could be a factor.

I think I will have to reseed these areas, but I want to avoid the problem in the future.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clumps of grass (or bad roots over winter?)

Grubs are (mostly, anyway) inactive over the winter. I noticed a very few when digging in the gardens that were awake, large, and in charge. They didn't live long. ;-)

You would have been more likely to see the issue at the end of last summer or the beginning of fall if it were grubs, but it's still not impossible, of course. If you can dig and verify that it is grubs...well, do that and get back to us.

Late winter and (now) early spring have been really wet and irregular this year. The temperatures were swinging wildly through March, too, to the point that two of my butterfly bushes frost-heaved right out of the ground, breaking the base roots as they went. Those base roots are as thick as my thumb... I've never seen anything like that before.

It's possible, though also not likely, that heaving and cracking damaged the grass in a few areas. I noticed one or two areas, quite small, where that happened, but I have a newly renovated lawn and it's a bit thin on the southwestern side.

You can reseed, although spring isn't the best time to do it. If it's a bluegrass lawn, it'll fill itself in, eventually. 3 square feet is about 1.7 feet on a side, a bit much for KBG to do in a single season, although feeding it will help. Fescue and rye won't repair that fast or that well and will require reseeding.

You could pull plugs from the inevitable areas where the grass grew into your gardens or onto the foundation. Keep them watered for about a month and they should take.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here