Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which Marathon/dandelion questions

Posted by Need2SeeGreen OrangeCty, Ca (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 20:11

Hello:

I am completely new at lawns.

Is there a way to tell which kind of Marathon grass you have? My friend's gardener told her that's what she has, but I was looking around here, and there seem to be several kinds of Marathon. And, does it matter? She lives in Orange County.

I am trying to help with a dandelion problem, which I never noticed until this year. I've been trying to pull them when I get a chance, and meanwhile, we try to pick the flowers.

Should we spray? How many dandelions do you have to have, to make that be the right choice? I am worried about whether we already reached a tipping point. Most likely, I guess we will spray.

She already knows she needs to water less often and feed the lawn, too. Would that be likely to take care of the dandelions? (There's some clover too.)

Also, I had an idea of growing a flat of grass and putting in little plugs where I dig out the dandelions, but, problem is, it's hard to get all of the root even though I try. Would a dandelion root be able to beat up a plug of grass?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which Marathon/dandelion questions

Marathon comes in three varieties: Dwarf, dwarfier, and dwarfiest. I don't know of an easy way to tell one from another. You might ask the neighbors. It might come down to when it was installed.

How often does she water? I'm 99% sure she waters daily because someone in SoCal has convinced even intelligent home owners that daily watering is the only way to go. In Orange County, west of the coastal mountains, you should be watering about once per month this time of year. In fact if you are getting rains now, then you don't need to water at all.

You can spot spray dandelions and clover with a product like Weed-B-Gone. It is a foliar spray, not a soil drench. The main ingredient is a growth hormone that overstimulates the plant until it dies by using up all its reserve nutrients. It has no effect on grass.

The best way to keep weeds out is to improve the density of the turf. Marathon only improves with more seed. But wait! Now is a horrible time to put out more seed. I would suggest nursing your way through this season and seeding in the fall. And I would further suggest that you steer away from Marathon and put in some Kentucky bluegrass. You are in one of the few areas of SoCal where you can get away with KBG. Here is a KBG lawn in northern Orange County.

He hardly does anything to it except water every other week and apply used Starbucks coffee grounds when he gets enough. He hasn't used chemical fertilizer or herbicide in years. The owner is definitely not a lawn guy. This is his first lawn. All he does is what I told him about 10 years ago. The neighbors think he's a lawn genius.

o
RE: which Marathon/dandelion questions

Wow, that is a stunning lawn!!! Thanks so much for your suggestions!! We will continue our battle with the dandelions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here