Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixing Bermudas

Posted by MacGardenTX 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 20:31

The builder of our house sodded bermuda grass in the front yard, and we opted to sod the back yard. We don't know what type of bermuda. All we can get out of the construction manager is that it's, "just plain bermuda." I'm tired of bugging him to clarify if he means common bermuda, or if he went with Tif 419.

SO, my question is whether it's OK if I just go with Tif 419, even if the front yard is common? Will they look that different (the front yard includes the side yard, which mixes the back yard). Can I care for them the same way? Or do I just need to keep pushing till I get an answer? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixing Bermudas

Your in TX, all Contractors use default Bermuda is Tifway-I aka 419. It is a hybrid thus no seed. There is no improved common Bermuda that can match the quality of 419.

Keep in mind the GC did not order or have much of anything to do with the grass other than sign a check., so he likely has no clue what type of Bermuda it is. He hired a sub contractor who did the actual work. In TX every landscape contractor unless told and paid extra to do otherwise uses 419. Every sod farm in TX has it, is the least expensive grass on the farm, and is the farmers #1 seller bringing home the bacon.

This post was edited by texas-weed on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 9:51

o

Awesome. We were going to go with Tif 419 based on what I read elsewhere on this forum. Thank you for your response!

o

And if you don't already have it, Google the Bermuda Bible and memorize it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here