Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pre-emergent then compost on lawn

Posted by kimpa z6b PA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 21:42

I want to lay down some pre-emergent dimension to control crabgrass and Japanese stiltgrass in my lawn. And soon I will be having lots of compost delivered. Is it a problem to lay the compost on the lawn on top of the dimension pre-emergent? Do you think it will make the pre-emergent less effective?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pre-emergent then compost on lawn

The preemergent provides a barrier and you don't want to disturb the soil after you put it down. So no raking. Why are you putting compost on the lawn?

o

I get a much better deal on compost if I buy 5 yards. And that is too much to spread on just my beds. Plus I want to build the soil health on my lawn too. My plan is to fling the compost on the lawn with a shovel and not disturb the soil. But I'm not exactly sure if that's going to work. Thanks for your response!

o

That should work. You don't want it too thick on the grass, maybe about 1/3 inch. What a nice problem to have: excess compost! I dealt with 9 yards of a compost/topsoil mix last spring to make new flower and vegetable beds. It was such nice dirt. It was a fair amount of work to get it moved around.

o

The application rate for compost is 1 cubic yard per 1,000 square feet so use your judgement. More than that can smother the grass. I see it over applied every spring and dead lawns by summer in my neighborhood.

I realize I'm paddling upstream on this issue, but I don't think compost is the best thing you can use to improve most soil. Compost is great for resupplying microbes to depleted soil, but for soil which has not been chemically stripped, a better material is organic fertilizer like alfalfa pellets (rabbit chow) or corn meal. Organic fertilizers feed the microbes which are already in the soil and allow them to repopulate. If you just add compost you are repopulating with a bunch of hungry microbes and tossing them out where there is nothing to eat. I would rather just feed the microbes which are already there. Compost in my neighborhood costs about $70 (delivered) to cover 1,000 square feet. Alfalfa pellets cost more like $5 per 1,000 square feet. I can apply fertilizer 14 times before I reach the cost of one app of compost. Your prices may vary, but not enough to get it down under $5. The same reasoning goes for your garden, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here