Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Scotts the best for the annual lawn care?

Posted by coody GA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 7, 09 at 22:23

The temperature has been about 70F. I am going to do the first time lawn maintenance. I saw the Scotts Turf Builder Halts Gabfrass Preventer Lawn Food (for early spring) and Scotts Turf Builder Plus Weed Control (for late spring). I also saw the cheaper one Expert Garden Weed & Feed Herbcida.

Will it have much difference if I select the Expert Garden Weed & Feed Herbcida or Scotts Turf Builder Plus Weed Control ( for late spring) instead of Scotts Turf Builder Halts Grabgrass Preventer Lawn Food (for early spring) for the first time lawn maintenance? I saw the Scotts is the most expensive and I wonder whether I must use the Scotts to get the best results. Have you selected other than Scotts but get the same or better results of the lawn maintenance? Please share your experience in the annual lawn care program such as the slection of the products, how many times a year etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Scotts the best for the annual lawn care?

Halts is a pre emergent herbicide.

The other product you mention, the Weed N Feed or Plus Weed control, is a post emergent herbicide.

Use the search feature for this forum for more info.

o

Not IMO they are just the most expensive. Lesco is what pros use because of the multitude of formulations blended for your local area, or any ratio your heart could desire.

o

The off brand stuff is in most cases just as good. Use a crabgrass preventer (pre-emerge) in the early spring (now) and then the post-emergent weed control (weed n feed) in late spring. Scott's 4 step program is for persons who want a descent lawn but are not lawn hobbyists (nuts) like many of us here. If you desire the best lawn in the county, then continue reading the lawn forums and learn the finer points of lawn care. Bill Hill

o

So use of the Lesco is able to get the same results as the use of the Scotts, right? Can anyone post the Lesco or other brand annual lawn care program if you have successfully maintain your lawn by use of other than Scotts?

o

So use of the Lesco is able to get the same results as the use of the Scotts, right?
Better results if you know what you need.

Scotts is a national product with a one-size fits all biz concepts. Lesco is national but blended for your local area, and has both weed-n-feed products, plus many pre and post emergence only products that do not contain fertilizer.

Scotts biggest disadvantages IMO is none of their fertilizer products contain any or very much Phosphorus, or usable ratios needed in geographical regions. Another problem IMO Scotts only offers Halts brand (Pendimethalin) or Saint Augustine Southern Lawns (Atrazene). Both are good at certain things but Lesco offers these plus may more in many percentage of concentrations.

Also would you like some percentage of iron, magnesium, or other micro nutrients in your in your fertilize? Scotts has nothing to offer. Lesco does How about 100%, 75%, 50% slow release nitrogen. Scotts offers one size, Lesco whatever you want.

OK I made my point.

o

If you have a Tractor Supply they sell GroundWork 16-4-6 with Barricade in 50lb. bags for $30 (comparable Scott's runs ~$50). The Scott's does have prettier bags though.

o

Thanks "texas-weed" and "metal" for your useful info. I also noticed some numbers such as xx-xx-xx on the product bag. What does it mean and how I should select the right number to do the lawn maintenance or what number of the product I should select according to the different month or season?

o

> I also noticed some numbers such as xx-xx-xx on the product bag

Homeowners Guide to Fertilizer
http://www.agr.state.nc.us/cyber/kidswrld/plant/label.htm

Plant Nutrients Primer
http://www.agr.state.nc.us/cyber/kidswrld/plant/nutrient.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here