Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixing Grass Seed

Posted by Fireguy18 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 22:35

My backyard has seen better days. When I moved in, the grass in the yard was thin and stayed mostly in the shade due to overgrown gardens and flower beds and untrimmed adult trees. I have 2 dogs that have killed nearly half of the grass just by running on it, not to mention from doing their business. I have since cleared the over growth and had the trees trimmed back and thinned, but the grass never grew back fully. It grows in clumps, but the creeping grass is gone. I am prepping my yard for new grass seed (trying to get an early jump on the growing season with the warm weather). My back yard is part-sun/part shade. I will be using a shade sun mix. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to mix in a lesser amount of a high traffic blend for long-term protection due to the dogs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixing Grass Seed

Dogs and fescue are a problem. Fescue is a bunch type grass that must be reseeded every year (in the fall) until you have it dense enough to keep weeds out. Then you have to evaluate it every summer to see whether there are thin spots that need more seed in the fall. Kentucky bluegrass was the spreading type grass. It must have full sun to thrive. You might get some to grow but with dogs and in the shade it will not perform like it would under better circumstances.

Dogs and shade are a killer combo. There is no combination of grasses that will do what you would like to do.

You are doing the right thing by wanting to start early, but spring is actually late. Fall is early. Spring seeded grasses tend to weaken and die in the summer heat leaving your lawn open to crabgrass. With your shade any crabgrass that gets started will not be very strong. You might even have too much shade for crabgrass. That would be refreshing.

I would suggest you make do for this season and put most of your budget into improving the yard in the fall. Practice good watering (deep and infrequent), good mowing (highest setting for fescue), and good fertilizing. If you want to use chemical ferts, apply later but no later than Memorial Day. If you want to use organics, you can start 3 weeks prior to your last frost date and use as much as you want. More is better. If you want to seed now anyway, keep in mind you will be seeding again in the fall to help 'densify' the turf for next summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here