Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this plastic netting in our soil?

Posted by cetacea33 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 22:43

Hi,
We moved in two years ago to our house in L.A. and just recently discovered this green plastic netting becoming unearthed in our yard as the grass disappears under our Dane puppy's giant paws. We live on the hill where gophers are a neighborhood problem - perhaps it was to prevent them? Or just was woven into the original sod matrix long ago? Or is an erosion preventative?... It is tripping me in spots where it has emerged so I'm thinking we need to get it all out. A landscape designer visited and said she had never seen it before. Anyone know for sure? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this plastic netting in our soil?

That can be found where sod had been previously laid.

And I am confused about the landscape designer.
It is (or was) a pretty common practice in sod farming.
A pain to get rid of..

o

There's no reason to use plastic in the garden. Just dig it out. Since you're not going to have a lawn, do it as the dog uncovers it.

Not that it is critical for your question, but if you want specific help regarding your lawn in "LA," we will need to know specifically where you are. Almost nobody really lives in LA. Everyone lives in the suburbs where climates range from El Segundo fog to back up to the drier hills in West Covina.

o

Thanks so much!
Forboystoo, The landscape designer is young and maybe showing her inexperience with this. :)
Dchall, We are just off Mulholland in Sherman Oaks. Lol, I don't even know those areas you mentioned! Still think of myself as a Pennsylvanian.... The variety of climates here is interesting though.
Back to snipping plastic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here