Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does my Bermuda grass lawn need seeding?

Posted by adi_az AZ (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 22:50

Hello everybody,

Attached are the pictures of my lawn. The lawn has Bermuda grass.

In winter the lawn had heavy infestation of weeds, which seem to be in control now, after multiple applications of weed killer spray. The green you see in the picture is actually Po Annua weed.

Now since winter has come to an end in Arizona, the question I have do I have to seed my lawn? Or will it be enough if I start watering it regularly. Will the bermuda regrow? I have not watered the lawn for more than a month now.

Any advise on how to regrow my lawn will be great. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does my Bermuda grass lawn need seeding?

If the reason the grass is thin is because it is under the shade of a tree or near a building on the north side, then no, no amount of seed will restore grass to that area. If it is in the sun, then it should refill nicely with some water and monthly feeding. Bermuda is the only grass that can take monthly feeding with chemical fertilizers.

o

Bump. Can somebody plz reply :(

o

@dchall -

Thanks a lot. The lawn does get sun, and there was grass before. I am currently watering for 10min every other day, as prescribed by the nursery guy.

Do you have any advice on what kind of fertilizer should I use?

o

Without knowing why the grass is thin, since shade was not the issue, it's hard to say how fast the bermuda will return. It will spread in from the outside for certain, but there might be enough root structure remaining for it to simple spring up.

You are watering too frequently. Your nursery guy sells plants, seed, and likely sod. The advice he's giving you will maximize his profits, not your enjoyment. When you water you should water very deeply without runoff. Deeply means 1 inch at a time all at once. Measure one inch by setting out empty cat food or tuna cans. Time how long it takes to fill the cans. That's your target for watering until forever. This time of year you should be watering deep about once every 2 weeks. When temps get into the 90s you can go to once per week. When temps get above 100 you should still be able to go once a week but you might see it drying out in 5 days. Then go to every 5 days until it cools off.

You do not need any chemical type fertilizer until you have mowed the grass for the second time. Before that you would be wasting fertilizer when you have no active roots to take up the fertilizer. Then start a monthly program with any high nitrogen fertilizer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here