Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perennial Ryegrass Lawn

Posted by Kevbo2210 6B (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 23:43

I am pondering planting pure perennial ryegrass after doing a full renovation on the upper part of my property where there is a large amount of open area. Would anyone disagree? What are the pros and cons of Perennial Ryegrass?

I am planning on planting a 70% KBG 30% Perennial Rye Mix on my side yard where it is nice and flat and open to sunlight. This is going to be the highlight of my lawn. However, the upper part is not AS important but still would like it to be thick, full and aesthetically pleasing.

If you do not recommend pure rye-grass what type of mix would you recommend? Thanks everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perennial Ryegrass Lawn

I wouldn't disagree with a full PR lawn, as PR can be just as dark and thick as KBG. It germinates and establishes very quickly, your first mowing will probably be in about 3 weeks. On the downside, it's a bunch-type grass with no real spreading ability, so you will probably have to overseed at some point down the road. It can be prone to certain diseases, but most cool season grasses have their issues in that respect. It is pretty wear tolerant too, so can take some traffic with no problem. It can also be mowed low if you prefer that, although this can decrease root growth and increase water usage. It can die out in times of drought, as it doesn't have an extensive dormancy.
I would not do a KBG/PR mix in your showcase area. PR grows faster and more upright than KBG, and unless you mow often, it might have a ragged look at times. I would stick with a blend of elite KBG cultivars in that area. Personally I would do both areas in full KBG if I could, but that's my preference. KBG takes a longer time to get established, and doesn't really hit its full stride until it's at least a year old, and it gets even better as it matures. Most cultivars are pretty wear tolerant, most baseball parks above the transition zone use KBG, and I think we can all agree that Yankee stadium would make a pretty nice lawn.

o
RE: Perennial Ryegrass Lawn

I see you are in Z6B which tells me you likely get some pretty hot summers and rye grass does not stand up to heat very good without quite a bit of water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here