Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryan_tetuan

Too Much Topper?

Ryan Tetuan
10 years ago

Hi,

I wanted my lawn to be a little more lush, and know the previous owner didn't take proper annual care of the lawn - although it was still in decent condition.

I decided last weekend to aerate it. I used a core aerator by hand (it's a small yard), and created holes about 4 inches apart. Then my garden center told me to fertilize, so I bought fertilizer and scattered it around, and watered a good amount.

Followed that up with topper they told me to get, and then threw on a little bit of Marathon 2 grass seed. I used much less topper than they suggested, as it seemed like too much of a coating over my lawn. Here's what it looked like when I was done:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-39MVsFRn2Ec/Uy8cIxJ5mpI/AAAAAAAAfoU/IbziCi0bzVE/w1035-h583-no/IMG_20140323_103621534.jpg

So my question - Did I use too much topper? Looks like some of the grass underneath is turning a bit yellow on the thicker areas, I was just told after watering the topper would break up. That doesn't seem to be happening.

I could go rake up the excess, but then the grass seed I put on is probably wasted?

Comment (1)