Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too Much Topper?

Posted by tetuanrp CA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 23:57

Hi,

I wanted my lawn to be a little more lush, and know the previous owner didn't take proper annual care of the lawn - although it was still in decent condition.

I decided last weekend to aerate it. I used a core aerator by hand (it's a small yard), and created holes about 4 inches apart. Then my garden center told me to fertilize, so I bought fertilizer and scattered it around, and watered a good amount.

Followed that up with topper they told me to get, and then threw on a little bit of Marathon 2 grass seed. I used much less topper than they suggested, as it seemed like too much of a coating over my lawn. Here's what it looked like when I was done:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-39MVsFRn2Ec/Uy8cIxJ5mpI/AAAAAAAAfoU/IbziCi0bzVE/w1035-h583-no/IMG_20140323_103621534.jpg

So my question - Did I use too much topper? Looks like some of the grass underneath is turning a bit yellow on the thicker areas, I was just told after watering the topper would break up. That doesn't seem to be happening.

I could go rake up the excess, but then the grass seed I put on is probably wasted?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too Much Topper?

You could have salvaged that if you had raked the top dressing into the turf. Too bad you didn't write in here first. It is not too late to do rake it. Everything that is still green should stay green. If you rake it you will disturb the grass seed. If it has germinated then it will not recover. If it had not yet germinated, then it's still viable. Rake it until all the grass is peeking up through the top dressing. Then walk all over it so the seed you have makes good contact with the top dressing. Then continue to water it very lightly, 3x per day, for 2 full weeks. That should germinate all the Marathon fescue seed.

Where do you live in California? and please be specific. There are too many climates and soil types for generalities.

Was that Marathon 2 turf under the top dressing?

Do you know what the topper is? Is it compost or soil?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here