Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poa Annua.. Is this correct?

Posted by cwidene 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 0:30

I have a great lawn I did from scratch last fall. I have some Poa Annua creeping in a few select spots. I have read a ton of posts here and on Google. Can someone confirm this is correct?

Applying anything now is too late. I need to apply a pre-emergent like Dimension around Labor Day and then March 1st of next year and hopefully this will surpress the seed germination and cut down on the Pao Annua over time?

Please help. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poa Annua.. Is this correct?

Yes and no. Poa annua is a winter annual which means the seeds germinate in fall when soil temps fall below 70 degrees. The plant stays fairly small, and spends the winter in a vegetative state. Once spring rolls around the plant explodes in growth and produces tons of seeds that will be dropped for germination in the fall. Then poa, being an annual, dies in late spring/summer. (typically this is the case, but their are hundreds of variations and perennial forms exist). There are some people having pretty good results using the herbicide Tenacity on it, but generally poa control is established with a strict regiment of preemergents like dimension. A drop in late summer, and again in early spring over time should result in a lessening of poa annua. There is also a new herbicide that I just learned about that might give hope to people battling poa annua. It isn't out yet, but it probably will be available in 2013-14.

o

Late Summer as in.. end of August?

o

Whenever your soil temps start falling below 70 degrees. For some people this doesn't happen, so late August would be a good time unless you plan on overseeding/renovating.

o

>"Late Summer as in.. end of August?"

Maybe - if we knew where you lived.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here