Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this?

Posted by hatemyyard none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 0:51

We have lived in our house almost 4 years now. I've never treated my lawn, the first 2 yaers it wasn't so bad but last year and now this year i have this brown stuff in my yard. It gets really thick and I just want to know how to get rid of it. It's even worse in my backyard! Any help is appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this?

looks to me like normal grass die off, do to weather or possible a fungus. in the mid west we usually burn it off if it's bad enough and over seed it. if it's not that big of a area a good raking and over seeding will do.

o

I’m no expert, but you might try using a leaf blower to “fluff” it up a bit and get some air under it. Then be patient. I do that every spring and it seems to work. My back doesn’t like raking.

o

Ok thanks guys!

o

Mow it, removing the clippings, then use a thatch rake on it to fluff it up and remove the dead stuff. Then mow it again to get the stray stuff sticking up.

Thatching is hard work, BUT if you use a lifting motion instead of a raking motion (slide blade under the mat of grass and pull up instead of trying to pull parallel to the ground) , and break it up over a period of several days, it's possible.

I just de-thatched 1200+ square feet of mixed buffalo and Bermuda grass ... it took 5 days of morning and evening work and totally filled my available compost space with grassy tufts.

o

Looks like fine fescue. Almost impossible to kill with herbicides. Fine fescue generally likes shadey areas were other grasses have a hard time competing against it. If the area gets a lot of sun then just scalp it in the late summer aerify and seed with kentucky bluegrass and it should out compete the fine fescue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here