Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikejtl

Buffalo UC Verde - do I need a sprinkler system

mikejtl
14 years ago

I live in Los Angeles (USDA zone 10) and we are redoing our back yard. The previous owner had roses throughout the yard, about 40' x 60'. We've moved the roses to the perimeter, and are planning a lawn that will be more toddler friendly that thorny rose bushes.

I just learned about Buffalo UC Verde which seems like the ideal grass for our yard. We're in LA, the yard gets zero shade, there is a hill to the West of us, so it gets sun from sunrise until about 2 maybe 3 hours before sunset.

There is currently no irrigation back there, and after reading about this grass I'm wondering if I need to bother with the expense, time, and energy of installing one. I've read that this lawn only needs water during the hot summer months, and then only ever 4-6 weeks. Even if that is optimistic, if I'm only going to water it a dozen times a year (which would be a dream), then maybe just a new garden hose and quality fan sprinkler like the ones we ran through in our underwear when we were kids is all we need.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts / experiences on this.

BTW, I'm planning to do the front yard in all native/naturals, so I don't plan to do an irrigation there, (thats down the road once the back yard is sorted, but thats the plan for the front.) Also, I do know that I need to water a bunch when the grass is first planted in order get the roots to take and everything to fill in, but I assume i get away with above ground sprinklers for that too?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• User
    14 years ago

Getting it established requires frequent (2-3 times a day) watering, and throughout the whole establishing period you need to water every few days. Do you have the time to go out there and keep track of the watering?

Read the blog ... it's detailed from plugs to this year's buffalo grass meadow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buffalo Grass Blog

• sailor11
    13 years ago

To the OP--did you end up installing the UC Verde? We have almost exactly the same situation in nearby La Crescenta, right down to the toddler. I would love to know if you managed without installing sprinklers, how the lawn looked last summer (especially during the heat wave), how it looks now, how it stands up to kids and toys, and any other advice you might have for soil prep, vendors, etc. Thanks!

• riegersteve
    13 years ago

i too live in LA, and about 2 years ago replaced most of my lawn with buff grass, yes i do have a sprinkler system, but once the grass established, i have not watered it. its been over 16 months and the grass is doing amazing.

ON a side note i mixed 4 different types of buff grasses, and added a touch or blue gama as well, my mower hasn't been started, and he tall(ish) grass looks amazing,

• dchall_san_antonio
    13 years ago

sailor11 is the only honest one of y'all, because nobody lives in LA. Well, my grandmother lived in LA but she moved to a suburb. It makes a difference where you live. Why? If you live in the El Segundo area of "LA" then you probably can't grow buffalo - it's too wet every morning. If you live in Covina or Charter Oak area of LA, it might be too shady much of the day from the surrounding hills.

In general a "LA" sized lot does not need a built in sprinkler unless there are water pressure problems or there are different zones you need to water. A good (Sears) hose and an oscillating sprinkler should work fine - especially for buffalo grass.

One thing to check before you get buffalo is whether you are allergic to it or not. Find some in a nursery and rub your forearms around in it. Wait 20 minutes. If you are not scratching your arms then you are likely not allergic to it.

I have heard good things about the Verde variety. Seeded varieties are not well thought of. They end up being weedy/ugly. Verde and Tech Turf are both much improved over the seeded ones. I have seen Tech Turf mowed anywhere between 3/4 inch and 4 inches and it all looked excellent.

However: if you have any fencing, buildings, trees, or shrubs between the grass and the horizon, it will not be as dense as you want. One-half day of full sun is not enough. Consider doing something else up close to the permanent structures.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022