Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atlanta_golf_lawn

TifSport performance in filtered sun & heavy shade?

I have been reading (poaching) the site for a few months, but just decided to join.

I bought a home last August and I believe that I have 419 in the front and back yard.

The previous owner maintained the yard at about 2 1/2" - 3", which is obviously too high for Bermuda. I slowly took the height down late last growing season (1/8" every 2 weeks) to a final height of 1 1/2". I scalped it down to about a 1/2" late March of this year.

The front yard gets a solid 8+ hours of sun and the lawn is beginning to come to life, but the back yard is a different story. The back yard get about 3 - 4 hours of good sun and about 2 hours of filtered sun.

The back yard is still at the same height as when I scalped it and it has no signs of life.

Sorry for the long rambling, but I wanted to provide a little history. I am redesigning a lot of the landscaping in the back yard and was thinking it would be a good time to replace the grass with something more shade tolerant. I have seen quite a few reviews of TifGrand, and people seem to be unhappy, but I have not seen much on the TifSport.

I would prefer to stay with Bermuda is possible!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Nice to meet everyone...LOL

Jason

Comments (3)

• wrager
    9 years ago

Honestly, that is simply not enough sun for Bermuda, even TifSport. I get a bit more sun than you and my TifGrand has died back completely now. The Shadow turf, on the other hand, has done really well in the same area. I planted one flat, three years ago. Two problems with Shadow turf: cost and speed to fill in.

• Atlanta-Golf-Lawn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input Wrager. I am beginning to think that I just need to bite the bullet and put in the zoysia. Any experience with the Zoysia "GO"?
    I currently cut my 419 with a reel mower at an 1/2" and would like to be able to do the same with the Zoysia if possible.

Thanks,
    Jason

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

What am I missing? Is there a variety of zoysia that likes shade (besides Shadow Turf)? Is Shadow Turf the zoysia you're referring to? It will do will in that much shade. It spreads faster where there is more light but it does spread in the shade.