Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudzu9

Looking for recommendations: power edger

kudzu9
16 years ago

I have a lot of planting beds and the grass encroaches pretty quickly. The soil is pretty hard, somewhat clay-like, with a fair number of small rocks in it. I'm looking for a recommendation on a powerful and dependable edger at a decent price. I'm willing to spend as much as $300 or so, but, if I can get by for $100, I'd be happy with that. I just don't want to spend money and then find out the machine isn't adequate.

Comments (7)

• jimtnc
    16 years ago

Can't you use a weedeater for that? Or are they abutted against concrete? I do some edging with my weedeater (very carefully), and also with my small cultivator. I can change it out from the digging mode to a cutting blade setup that I can edge along the driveway, walks, etc. It makes for a multi-purpose power tool. Just sayin'...

• egghead2004
    16 years ago

I have a huqvarna weed trimmer with a split boom. I bought the power edger attachment for it and it works great. The problem is the price. I paid I think $250 for the trimmer and another $150 for the power edger. I may have been ripped off though, Damn local JD dealer realy screwed me over when my wife went there.

Anyway, I'll try to find oout the model and price and post it.

BTW Echo has a good one too.

• bogey123
    16 years ago

I have a Stihl FC 75 stick edger that works great. I think it was around $300 but it works great and doesn't take alot of room in my garage.

• egghead2004
    16 years ago

OK, I have the husky 326 LDx, and I paid $359 for it so that's a bit more than what you want to spend. The edger attachment is $100. There are a few other attachments that can be bought as well.

I will say this thing vaporizes grass, weeds, and small over growing brush. The edger digs a nice clean cut up to 2-3 inches. We did all of our beds over with this last summer. Makes nice easy curving edges too!

Here is the sight I found the info on...

http://www.sleequipment.com/store/myProducts.cfm?categoryID=39&/weedeaters/weedeaters.html

• turf_toes
    16 years ago

Kudzu9,

Get a stand-alone (4-wheel) edger. You could do the job with a weed eater. But if you really want an awesome edge to the lawn, you'll get a stand alone product.

I've seen stand-alone products at my local toro dealer for around $230.

I paid an almost identical price for my yardman edger at Home Depot. I've had it three years and it works great. My neighbor's use weed whackers.

Weedwackers can do the job, if you are looking for something that is mostly utilitarian in nature. But if you want it to look GREAT. Get a gas-powered, stand-alone edger.

• kudzu9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've tried the WeedEater approach and it just doesn't cut it for all the lawn and edges I have, particularly considering the toughness of my soil and the deep-rooted and aggressive nature of my grass. I appreciate the namebrand suggestions, and I'll research them. In the meantime, if anyone else has bought a power edger and has a good experience to report (or a bad one!), I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.

• egghead2004
    16 years ago

I don't know if every knows the unit I am describing, maybe I'm doing a bad job of that. The Husky or Echo with the split boom is a multifunctional tool, not a weed eater. The attatchments make it a stand alone edger, or a stand alone trimmer, chain saw, sweeper, hedger. The attachments are not the little blades you put on the end of the unit as to replace the spool for the trimmer. The boom or pole comes apart with a quick twist. Take off the entire weed trimmer unit, replace it with an entirerly new tool, such as an edger, or chain saw, sweeper, etc. The only common part is the motor.

And because it does have the power to be a pole chain saw, trust me, as an edger it is a beast. It digs straight or slanted edges easily...well after a few practice runs it will be easy. It can pull you along with it if it grabs deep and you are not prepared. It has depth adjustments and a shield, which the shield is needed cause it will toss rocks if it digs any up.

Last year my wife marked out a new flowerbed, the edge being about 22' with some curves. It took 2-3 minutes at the most to make 2 runs with the edger, done. Quality too...deep, smooth, finished edges with no waves and nice transitions from straight lines to curves. So I refinished the rest of the beds a couple of times during the summer in minutes.

The only problem is the price. it will run about $460 or so for the motor with trimmer attachment and edger attachment.

I'm not selling it, I just want make sure that you know this isn't the little multi attachment Toro like thing sold at the big box stores. You'll have to go to a real Husqvarna or Echo dealer to find one of these. The quality is top notch also, they will last you for years.

Cheers!