Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zuozuo9192

Urgently Need Help with Grass Seeds

zuozuo9192
10 years ago

I live in Houston, TX. We put down Kentucky grass seeds on a bare back yard (bare because it was a new construction and the builder did not put down sod) 2 weeks ago. The Kentucky grass is coming in nicely. However, I just learned that Kentucky grass will definitely die come this June/July with the Houston heat.

- Now what do I do to correct this - in particular, what grass seed do I put down now? I was thinking Bermuda seeds as now to late April would be a good time to plant given the Texas weather. Or should I do some other seed like a Bermuda/rye grass mix?

- Do I put the new seeds into the soil over the Kentucky grass even though the Kentucky grass has already come out? I was thinking - Mow the Kentucky grass down, rack the soil loose a bit, then put down the new seeds and then cover with a light sprinkle of garden soil? Does that sound right? I'm afraid planting new seeds such as Bermuda over the existing Kentucky grass seeds may not allow for the new seeds to survive but I have a big lawn and it would take a while to dig up all the Kentucky grass and start with a bare land again.

- Any other tips/suggestions for the situation I'm in?

Any help much appreciated! Not sure how to proceed now...

Comments (2)