Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluephi1914

Lawn Renovation

bluephi1914
10 years ago

I am renovating my yard..... It has been overrun by crabgrass on 20% is actual grass (Bermuda).

I just want to make sure I understand the renovation process.

1. Kill everything
2. Cut what's left of the grass/weeds as low as possible
3. fill in any low spots with good top soil
4. re-seed
5. spread straw or some type of covering.

If this is correct, my question was, after I kill everything and wait the 7 days, do I just leave what remains of the crabgrass and weeds down and just reseed on top of that or should I attempt top remove it?

and now would be the time to renovate in Georgia if I'm thinking about Bermuda grass correct?

thanks in advance.

Comments (9)

• tnjdm
    10 years ago

You really want to consider churning up the top. Notice I didn't say "till". Maybe power rake or grading the top to break up the clumps of grass, soften the top, etc.

Seed needs good contact with the soil. You also want to make sure you keep it well watered and not let the seed dry out. "Well watered", not meaning soaking, just hitting it a few times a day to keep the seed moist. Once sprouts start coming heavily, then cut back to fewer waterings for longer periods of time.

Starter fertilzer would be good also.

Lastly, you may want to get a soil test done. Probably $20 that's worth millions.

• bluephi1914
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok so i have applied the lawn and weed killer...

and this is what i have left. (see picture)

my questions is, is this crab grass considered dead?

and if so this, is this the point where I have a little more top soil brought in to cover everything and then use a power rake to stir up the soil and get ready to seed over everything.

• bluephi1914
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow, no help ?

• rager_w
    10 years ago

This cold snap is killing us. Wait a few weeks. Buy seed now as it runs out later in the summer. What were you going to use? Yukon or Sahara?

Well,,,you really want to re-seed with common Bermuda? It can look decent, but not like sod. Sod is only $85/pallet (400 ft sq). Anyway, when I seeded my back yard, I scalped it down to the dirt. Then aerated and power raked. Added starter fert and some top soil. I then seeded with Triangle Bermuda. I mixed it with cracked corn to spread it. The corn also adds a small bit of fungicide.

The hard part as keeping it watered without irrigation.
    Don't use straw!!

This post was edited by rager_w on Tue, May 7, 13 at 18:35

• bluephi1914
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was considering laprima burmuda seed. I just wasnt sure if this crab grass was actually dead. But looking at yours I see I may need to scalp it lower, then power rake it then have some top soil brought in and then throw my seeds.

• rager_w
    10 years ago

Yes, you need a combination of good seed to soil contact, sun/heat and moisture. It was a few weeks before I really started to get good germination. Weeds will proliferate the first year. Next year you can treat for them. Don't forget to roll it once the seed is down.

• sanctified
    10 years ago

When I moved into my foreclosed house that had been vacant the only thing alive was the weeds. It was recommended to me to apply and "everything killer" twice, seven days apart to ensure that everything was in fact dead. I used the brand Hi-Yield if I remember right.

I don't think you need to necessarily scalp it but if you do have low spots add topsoil to bring them up to the right height. I might mow yours on a lower setting but use the mulch setting. After you drop the seed rake it in.

I think that by leaving the grass there (not taking it to dirt) you will give some protection to the seed from the sun and the wind which will help it stay in place.

• Ethanhh
    10 years ago

You need to fertilize your lawn soil first. Try to use some organic fertilizer this will help your seed grow faster and when you will install your lawn it will stay green.

• rager_w
    10 years ago

Sanctified, you are in zone 5. Have you ever seen or used Bermuda seed? If it's not scalped first, how will the seed reach the soil?