Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
usalawn

Reviews on Patch Perfect

usalawn
16 years ago

I read reviews on this forum regarding Patch Perfect. The only scams that I read were regarding the coverage, but none say that it does not work. So those of you have have used it can say that it does work.

The science of it is obvious that it would work, but if not patch perfect that I guess it would be better cost effective to use Scott's or other brands from mass merchant stores? I couldnt find anything at Walmart, so where and what should I be looking for?

Thanks

Comments (67)

• Billl
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

In phoenix, you could seed some bermuda and see how it goes. The seed is going to be cheap for any size area. The water is going to be expensive for anything larger than a postage stamp size lot. To get new grass started, you will have to water multiple times per day - for maybe 5-10 minutes at a time. You'll have better luck if you sprinkle some hay or compost over the seed to keep the sun off of it. Make sure to use some starter fertilizer so it gets off to a fast start. Within a couple of weeks, you should have little green sprouts all over. After that, you will need to water enough to keep them alive for the rest of the season - probably daily. It is definitely an uphill battle trying to grow grass in what is basically a desert climate.

• charan1234
    16 years ago

Ok here is my problem. i have hard packed dirt in my yard and 2 years ago i dug it to loosen it, planted grass seed...and grew a few weeds. i wanted to try this product because it seemed easy and may actually work...now i dont know if i should or not. so, any suggestions on what to use? my yard is mostly shady thru the day until i cut some of the neighbors branches off, the climate is hot summers and cold winters and sudden changes are common, i live in NE ohio, and whatever is suggested will i have to loosen the dirt again? thanks a lot!

• texas_weed
    16 years ago

I have hard packed dirt in my yard.
    I wanted to try this product because it seemed easy.
    My yard is mostly shady thru the day.

Don't know what to say to you then. Nice looking lawns take a lot of work, decent but not great soil, and lots of sun. If you put in a lot of work, the other two are easy. Otherwsie consider a shade garden, mulch, or ground covers.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Lots of new members coming to the site thru this thread.
    Welcome new members. Sorry your dreams of growing grass on top of cinder blocks did not come true. I think I mentioned this before. You might seriously look into Irish moss or similar.

• mark_rossi
    16 years ago

Hi, this is my first posting and I have never had a lawn before (new homeowner). I appreciate the information provided on patch perfect and won't be going down that primrose path (no pun intended). I am, however, still looking for a solution to the bare spots on my lawn. I live in the northeast (Zone 6) and have tried seeding with fair success, however, there are gaps in coverage. Sould I just buy sod? if so, how can I help it grow?
    Also, to add density to the grass that I have, do I "overseed"? and how does one do that correctly? I appreciate any guidance.

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

Mark--You might want to start a new thread, since you're not really asking about Patch Perfect.

Do you know what grasses you've seeded? When did you seed?

You are probably using a cool season grass like Kentucky Blue Grass (KBG) or a fescue (most likely a Turf Type Tall Fescue--TTTF).

KBG will spread by special roots called rhizomes. TTTF is a bunch grass. It spreads very slowly by tillering, but usually, this process is not fast enough to keep a lawn full.

How much of your lawn (in sq ft) are you trying to replace? How much are you just trying to thicken a bit?

Where in the northeast/Zone 6 are you? The zones really only tell us how cold it gets in the winter, and your zone 6 is probably different from my zone 6. I'm really in zone 6, but usually use zone 5 to describe my conditions. The winters are mild here, so it's zone 6. But if I plant a garden before mid May, it'll probably get snowed on. And I usually expect the first snows to hit in October.

• artisforfun
    16 years ago

Easy I have bought this scam. It does not work. I planted it the same time in the same conditions as a rye and quick grass combo on different spots of my lawn. Now before I planted both the patch perfect and my rye grass combo on opposite sides of the yard. I thatched the area and even changed the ph balance of my soil my mixing my sandy soil with composte peate and manuere. About 10 percent of the patch perfect actually sprouted. The other rye grass bought at Walmart grew five times better! No joke I even bought $156.00 of patch perfect. It is a total scam call me a sucker if you want but, by watching the advertisement I had to test it too other seed. Hands down boat load of crap and a waste of money. They are basically stealing in my oppinion.

• lowelln
    16 years ago

Junk! Followed directions. Planted under a tree and NOTHING grew. Only works on concrete!

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Yeah but if they're going to promise you the world...
    I think the bigger problem is your typical infomercial crap, taking credit cards but not sending out orders.

• gary18hei25_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

Like the commerical says, Spread it and forget it. That's about it because you will never see any grass grow out of that CRAP! A jar of absorbent material and junk seeds. Nothing grows, I tried everything. It may not be safe for pets, had a dog get sick after I put it down, DO NOT BUY THIS CRAP, IT'S A SCAM.

• mibtp
    16 years ago

So it does grow on concrete? I'm moving to an apartment with a huge patio and no yard. I need grass for my dog to go out on when I'm gone. Do you guys think it will grow on the cement without soil? I just need a 6x2 patch. Or do you have other suggestions?

Thanks.
    Patrice

Here is a link that might be useful: Bid on VIP Tickets TV Show Set Visits and More

• darius_07
    16 years ago

So it does grow on concrete? ... Do you guys think it will grow on the cement without soil?

You're kidding, right?

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

"You're kidding, right?"

Registered today and posted a link to some kind of auction site that has nothing to do with lawncare. I don't think he was kidding, just looking for an excuse to post an advertisement.

• darius_07
    16 years ago

Yes, I noticed that, too. That's why I didn't bother to explain that grass does not grow on concrete.

• sissy2stone_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

Don't fall for this people.....it's a scam! Thank goodness that I only bought 1 bag. After watering the heck out of this grass, it still didn't grow. I called the company to get a refund of my money. They said they would credit my card, but to this day it still hasn't happened. The free trip that was supposed to have come with this didn't happen either. When I called them about it, they said that they didn't have anything to do with it, that I would have to talk to another company about it, but they couldn't give me their number or anything else to contact them. Stay away and save your money!! I wish I would have known this in the beginning so that I wouldn't have lost my money. I'll be calling the BBB to report this scam to them.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

The BBB isn't the business police, the just write a letter with the aim of getting them to resolve a dispute. Speaking of disputes, instead of wasting your time doing that, call your credit card company and dispute the charge before it's too late.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

And if you think the company putting on these patch perfect commercials gives a darn about their reputation enough to settle your dispute through the bbb, then I got a bag of grass seeds that grows on concrete I want to sell you.

• alani_kos_net
    16 years ago

"The BBB isn't the business police, the just write a letter with the aim of getting them to resolve a dispute. Speaking of disputes, instead of wasting your time doing that, call your credit card company and dispute the charge before it's too late."

Good advice!

I had a problem with a new ISP where their software connected my DSL modem to their server but I couldn't access the Web or send/receive email. They were unmoving in the dispute and I finally called the credit card company, who in turn asked me to write a letter explaining the situation - and subsequently I got a full monetary refund from them even though the dispute lasted months (I was still using my old ISP on another PC). So it might never be "to late" if you approach them in a sincere truthful manner,

• sqinaz
    15 years ago

Thank you all! I am so glad that I found this review site before purchasing Patch Perfect for my partially shady north side of a Phoenix house.

My first clue that this was a hoax of a product was the fact that they never told you, in the infomercials or on the many websites, what TYPE of grass this is.

More research is needed on my part for the "perfect" products for my own little plot of grass that I want to grow.

I was almost a sucker for the "this even grows on cement block" part of the ad, so don't feel badly if you were convinced by the infomercials.

Thank god that I copied my reply as I was not a member when I read these posts and had no clue the stupid process I would have to go through to post here, including losing the link to this thread. Bad web design, bad, bad.

• shull_us_ibm_com
    15 years ago

I put down 1 bag of patch perfect 2 weeks ago. The firat week there was no rain in the NE, so I watered the lawn with Miracle Grow (hose attachment)4 days out of 7. This week it is really raining and the Patch perfect spots are starting to grow.

Now I have spent more than my share - $300+ trying grass seed from Lowes and Home Depot...with really marginal - if any results. I understand the doubters...but this stuff has worked the best in my small back yard thus far. I covered 50% of my brown spots with 1 bag. I think I will try a few more bags for the rest.

• terryhartman
    15 years ago

I was very disappointed in the Patch Perfect product. I am in the process of disputing the credit card charge because the product did not even come close to meeting expections. I bought the contractor's package and maybe 1 blotchy square foot of grass appeared. I used brand new futerlized soil, watered and I am now on my 7 week. I would have been better to go to walmart for the smart seed. And, yes I tried to work it out with the company prior to posting or complaining.

• diesel_diva
    15 years ago

I keep reading these nasty words like Walmart and Home Depot. Here's a novel idea: go to a local feed and seed store. Many of these stores have a Master Gardener on hand or they have a relationship with the Cooperative/Agriculture Extension Service. If you need info and you go to the big box stores, you're barking up the wrong tree. They'd endorse Patch Perfect too if they could!

• billebersberger
    15 years ago

This is JUNK. I purchased the product a year and half ago and it DOES NOT WORK IN ST.PETERSBURG,
    FLORIDA on my landscape. It dies before it germinates because it is not drought tolerant. I reported the
    problem to Patch Perfect and got no reply or satisfaction. If you want to know more don't hesitate to email
    me - I'll give you the straight scoop. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. THIS MIGHT WORK IN COOLER
    CLIMATE but definately is a SCAM as far as I have experienced. singerbill@mail.com PS- And I was a
    landscaper for St. Petersburg College for many years !!! I didn't know this review site existed until tonight.

• disciple11615
    15 years ago

do not buy!!!!!!! they will drain you bank account!!! if your stupid enough to buy it,DONT GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER!!! or youll be in the same situation as i am

• tommythegrassguy
    15 years ago

This stuff is waaaaaaay too expensive and besides you can make your own stuff for far less money. I have on hand a big container full of really rich garden soil. I take this stuff and mix a bit of seed into it in a five gallon bucket. Into that I add a bit of starter fertilizer and voila! You have some pretty good stuff at a fraction of the cost.

• jeannie7
    15 years ago

Usalawn, for the most part, the messages here are going on innuendo, could-be's, mights, and the one suggesting
    "there's a sucker born every minute".....oh, that one's original. Where it came from --- well, who cares.

You have looked into a product that supposedly is better than many others and at a cost you are being aware of.
    Is it cost effective, is it above your budget, do you have the time and effort to put into this product coming to something and can you believe what the detractors are saying about it.
    Do they speak from experience of the product....or are they just blowing wind.

True, there is many inexpensive grass seeds out there....and for the most part, they are garbage. Here today....gone tomorrow and for the rest of the season.

If you firmly believe this Patch Perfect or whatever its called is worth a try, then go for it. Buy the the least amount and use it and compare it with others.
    Then come back and YOU SPEAK from experience and tell others of what you find.
    Perhaps there's gold in them thar hills......and you just have to find it.

Don't let others speak for you....if they have used the product you have named, then weigh their opposition or their gung-ho for it.

• cccp_amanda
    15 years ago

I admit it. Im fooled by all the infomercials. But I really believed this was the real deal before reading this board. I wanted to plant this grass on concrete blocks like they do in the commercial and keep it in my window where it will not get any direct sunlight. Even if it were in direct sunlight, what are the chances of this grass growing on concrete trick work? it worked on tv

• coffeecup22_gmail_com
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your opinions on Patch Perfect.
    I was just about to order 4 bags of this "miracle" Patch Perfect grass, but not now!
    I will try the Canada Green Grass Lawn Seed Mixture or try to make my own like tommythegrassguy does.
    I live in NC and our lawns suffered from the draught and
    water restrictions.
    Thanks to all for the good advice!

• drshort001_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

Hello All,

I was about to purchase Patch Perfect as well. I am so glad I found this site.

I have a property in Denver, Co and I had laid down nice sod. My nightmare of a tenant NEVER watered it and it died within a month. The worst part - this is my front yard so it KILLED my curb appeal. Well he is gone and now I am in the process of trying to fix. The grass for the most part is yellow with little patches of some grass. You can tell there is LAYER underneath the grass that I would imagine held the sod in place. it coats the whole lawn. Do i need to pull up this "layer" before laying new seed down? It looks like it could prevent the seeds from taking root in the ground? I appreciate any feedback or advice.

Thanks.

• edathome
    15 years ago

I am in the Tampa Bay area on the West Coast of FL and purchased a small order (200 sq. ft. quantity) of PATCH PERFECT in May as a test. I spread it, (albeit in a petly sun area) watered it sufficiently, according to package instructions, and in two months have seen no growth from this product. As far as I'm concerned it is a scam. While it is, allegedly, guaranteed, I have also had no satifaction from the company in respose to my emails thus far. My suggestion: don't buy it, don't try it, it doesn't work.

• punnina
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your reviews! I was just going to order patch perfect as I am so desperate I really wanted to believe in a miracle. I live in Miami and I have replaced an area in my yard (approx. 300 sq. feet twice in the past two years) I know that it is due to this area being a much shadier area but I do not want to cut the trees more as our homes are all very close and this assures privacy. My husband and I put in a small pond to take up some of the space and replaced the sod with new last spring. It is dying again and looks pretty bad. I know the sod we had planted is Saint Augustine so after reading all of your reviews I believe there really isn't much I can do. Does anyone have any ideas of green ground covering? I will check out the Irish Moss mentioned above but any other ideas would be so welcome. Thank you!

• cory_tripakreload_com
    15 years ago

I am one of the owners of a new product called the K9 Yard Patch. This product is very simple. Seed + Gypsum (not rocket science, just a good patent). Our seed is a proprietary mixture much like you can get anywhere, but it is mixed with Organic Gypsum and it has amazing properties naturally. It neutralizes the damage caused by pet urine or salt, it conditions and ammends the soil and it retains moisture naturally. It cost much, much less than patch perfect and covers 250 Square Feet. I guarantee this prodcut. It will be sold in independent hardware stores across the country in 2009. It is also availabe online at it's website, Amazon and other places.

There are 4 patch products. K9 Yard Patch, Total Turf Patch, Boulevard Patch and the California Lawn Patch.

I wish everyone the best of luck with their lawns!

Here is a link that might be useful: K9 Yard Patch instead of Patch Perfect

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

Lokes like somebody forgot to read the TOS regarding what businesses can and can't do.

• cory_tripakreload_com
    15 years ago

I am one of the users of a new product called the K9 Yard Patch. This product is very simple. Seed + Gypsum (not rocket science, just a good patent). The seed is a proprietary mixture much like you can get anywhere, but it is mixed with Organic Gypsum and it has amazing properties naturally. It neutralizes the damage caused by pet urine or salt, it conditions and ammends the soil and it retains moisture naturally. It cost much, much less than patch perfect and covers 250 Square Feet. I endorse this prodcut.
    I wish everyone the best of luck with their lawns!

Here is a link that might be useful: K9 Yard Patch instead of Patch Perfect

• talford5_cfl_rr_com
    15 years ago

Ok... So I got my Patch Perfect through Publishers Clearing House (yes, I hope they will knock on my door at any moment, LOL) and it was the same price but only 4.63 S/H instead of 7.95. At any rate, I bought two of them (200 sqft worth, just under $50). Now I'm a new homeowner ( about 18mths now) and I grew up in urban Philadelphia ( concrete jungle) and never even pushed a lawn mower in my life. I bought a house with oak trees on 3 sides so grass doesn't like to grow. The only problem is, I like grass and want grass. I also want a low maintenance yard so I want mostly grass. I decided to start with the front yard (~1900 sqft). For the most part, the previous owner left me with a yard full of weeds, not actual grass. What did I care, as long as it was green right? Well after attending a few free landscaping sessions sponsored by the county ( I live in Orlando, FL) I decided to really make my yard beautiful. Now of course I first had to get rid of the weeds which I did, but basically I got left with dead weeds and dirt. There was some grass hanging around, but after only blowing the leaves every few months and not even bothering to water my lawn for over a year, you can imagine the shape of the lawn. So after putting in my own lighting around the driveway, I decided to try the Pennington Grass Repair Kit (link in this message) on the dirt I loosened up. I only watered it that first day and (well, I'm kind of lazy with yardwork and refused to use the automatic irrigation on dirt and weeds) it sprouted up in just a couple days. Even with neglect the grass grew strong and green. It's the greenest stuff on my lawn to date and I haven't trimmed (trimmer broke, haven't replacd it yet) or mowed (don't own a mower yet, but it's coming) it in months. I just let the rain do the watering and it's really impressive especially since I get the shade I get.

Now we have T-Storms today and when rain died down a bit, I figured it was a good time to try out the patch perfect (I blew the leaves on Saturday) Now, i didn't put the patch perfect down as thick as they show in the infomercial. I kind of just walked around with it shaking the bag only lightly coating the ground. Between the two bags, I had enough to se blue on just about the whole yard (minus my edged plant beds and some hedges). I figure if it seeds, I'll have some green spirnkled around and it will look a lot better. It will be thin, but I can always go back with more to fill it in but the less brown I see the better. I just want to see how well it works first.

I've been working on changing sprinkler heads this week, so my automatic irrigation will be watering. I especially want something to work because my side and back yards have no grass at all and I want something that will grow with little effort. both of these have been fairly effortless and now I have the irrigation to keep it watered. June starts the rainy season so I want to get the seed down before then so mother nature can keep it growing instead of me paying for it. Whilee I do have all of these trees I managed to get speckled sun in just the right places through the course of the day, so I'm really optimistic about growing the grass.

I'll come back in a few weeks and let you know how th patch perfect does and if it even compares to the Pennington seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pennington All-In-One Grass Repair Kit a Lowes

• troyfrazier
    15 years ago

Everyone reading this thread need to follow the below prodecure.

1. Find out who in your area sells bulk seed, and fertilier to landscapers. This could be a John Deer Landscape (formally lesco), a feed mill, or a privite supplier. Don't order this kind of thing, and don't buy it at a Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot, etc they will rip you off, and they have no one that knows what they are talking about.

2. Get a diet coke and a regular coke, and take them to the guy working at the bulk supplier. Tell him your problem and he will sell you the right product for your area, and situation and it will be cheap!

I get grass seed for $2 a pound. The guy at a bulk supplier will know what seeds are best for your area, and he'll be able to guide you through the timing of your seeding project which is very important.

Perfect Patch is really just hydro seed. Hydro seed is that green foamy looking stuff you might have seen sprayed alongside the highway. It's a useful product if your seeding a steep grade because it stays in place. It's also pre blended so the seed, fert, and compost ratio is perfect. Your bulk supplier will be able to tell you more about products like this, and he'll sell you everything you need for a fraction of the price perfect patch will cost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frazier's Field Repair

• meekamoo
    14 years ago

Ok, so it's been a couple weeks and I do see some sprouts from the Patch Perfect but not nearly enough for me to buy it again. The Pennington seed worked much much better and faster!

• inglisbe
    14 years ago

Yet another reason lawns are a BAD idea, anyone notice perfectly green lawns growing in nature? No? Maybe it's because they're NOT natural. Try a meadow garden or some other groundcover that's tolerant to your zone, you'll save yourself alot of money and water.

• chifan7
    14 years ago

Hi Folks, I also am considering getting Patch Perfect. I have several spot where I just can Not get any grass to grow. Short of rototilling the poor excuse for a lawn. What can I do? Last year I tried fertilizer,grass seed(KBG) water...Nothing. :( What....can I do? Please, advise. Thanks.

• terry2176
    14 years ago

Patch Perfect does not work folks...after 4 weeks I still have a big bald spot and blue seeds atop the ground. Save your money, my weeds are at least green and growing.

• metal
    14 years ago

The problem is that most people who buy this product are lazy and looking for an easy way to have a beautiful lawn, and unfortunately the only way they will get that is to spend money and hire a lawn service, or put in a lot of work and put in a lawn correctly.

• girlten
    14 years ago

I will be trying this product very soon...used a patch product before and it worked just fine...so very anxious to try this one...I paid 19.95 for twice the product which is 200 sq ft...will deliver the results as they happen.

• jan_hughes2_gmail_com
    13 years ago

This product is garbage, spent $100 and after more than a month only a few seedlings came up. Even tried to grow it in a pot under near perfect conditions, nothing. Don't waste your money or time.

• obsolete
    13 years ago

Haha, well thank you for bumping up an old thread from LAST YEAR to the top again. But alas, it's a good thread anyway so perhaps it was due for a re-fresh.

I also bought a similar product, and can tell you it was a total waste. So far, a total write-off, and I watered every day.

I seem to learn all my lessons the hard way.

• TheGardenLad
    12 years ago

Just had to register so I could add a word about growing grass on concrete. On the 50th anniversary of the first plant patent, the U.S. Patent Office rolled in grass over their entire concrete plaza. No dirt was used other than what was on the back of the sod. As I recall, the grass was in place for at least 3 months and and it grew well and had to be mowed regularly. Their was a specific watering and feeding schedule established to account for the lack of soil. If I remember correctly, the Scott's company was one of the main sponsors. By all accounts the grass grew really well on concrete. Sorry, that I cannot find a internet link easily on the story. So to all those out their who are so sure grass can't grow on concrete, use that imagination to consider what might be or is possible. After all, someone has already patented a lawnmower that cuts your grass with laser beams.

• TheGardenLad
    12 years ago

One of the best methods I've ever seen is to rake the bare soil to loosen the top layer. Then apply the grass seed of choice to the area. Cover the seed with 1/4 inch of top soil or manure. Finally, and this is the important part, cover the patch with burlap sacks. Last, water at least three times per day. You'll have grass sprouted in no time. You can usually get used burlap sacks from the produce manager at your local grocery store. Remove the burlap sack once the seed has sprouted and is at least 1/4 inch tall above the soil. I've never seen a more effective method other than rolling in new sod. Hope this helps.

• brizzyintx
    12 years ago

I can't believe this thread is over four years old! LMAO!

• digitaldog
    11 years ago

I've been using this product for years with great success. I carry it with me every evening while walking my dogs. My dogs aren't perfect and urinate in almost every yard we pass. All I have to do is sprinkle PatchPerfect on the accident areas and then a dash of bottled H2o. My neighbors are amazed at my thoughtfullness!

• GelisabethT
    10 years ago

I tried out Patch Perfect in my tiny backyard, while I was at University. I spread the seed all over my lawn, watered it and then went on vacation for two weeks and completely forgot about my lawn. When I got back I was so shocked to see that I had a perfect lawn, even though I had abandoned it. I couldn't believe it had actually worked, this product is made for people like me that are lazy and forgetful when it comes to taking care of my lawn, thanks patch perfect!

• gsweater
    10 years ago

"Posted by GelisabethT none (My Page) on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 14:36

I tried out Patch Perfect in my tiny backyard, while I was at University. I spread the seed all over my lawn, watered it and then went on vacation for two weeks and completely forgot about my lawn. When I got back I was so shocked to see that I had a perfect lawn, even though I had abandoned it. I couldn't believe it had actually worked, this product is made for people like me that are lazy and forgetful when it comes to taking care of my lawn, thanks patch perfect!"

This message was brought to you by the shady forum trolling folks at Patch Perfect... lmao