Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What To Do With Weeds?

Posted by VengeFulHemi Florida (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 6:47

Hello All: I'm new to this website, but I have viewed it many times in the past and have got great help from it and thought it's about time I joined. I do have a question about weeds in my lawn. I live in palm coast,fl. My lawn has been overrun(front&rear) with tons upon tons of weeds. A week&half ago I had sprayed the entire lawn with the bayer southern weed killer and now all the weeds have turned yellow(assuming they have been murdered by me). Now there are wayyyy too many to pull out by hand(would take weeks to do). Now that they appear dead, what do I do ? I am planning to seed with bermuda once the overnight temps stay a steady 65deg. So what do I do now about the weeds that I have successfully killed off? Many thanks to all.

Don

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What To Do With Weeds?

Try raking the lawn and remove the dead material. Work first one way....say, east to west, then the opposite.
Use a fan rake and use as much weight on it as you see fit to open furrows where overseeding can be done. If you prefer, put down a 1/2" layer of compost or good topsoil prior to overseeding. If the weeds are really dead, then they are not growing and will offer no barrier to new grass coming in. Soon the grass will push out the dead material.
Then put your lawn on a schedule of proper fertilizing for the type of grass you have. The happier, and more lush the lawn gets, the less chance it can be adversely affected by weeds.
To that, put your lawn on an routine of topdressing 1/2" and over seeding--whether it shows whether it needs it or not at least annually.
For the type of grass you have mow at the correct height.
You may wish to leave the grass a bit higher, for a time anyway while it also helps prevent weeds by shading the weed seeds that may be there from last fall.
A further pre-emergent application can also prevent these weed seeds developing somewhat. There's always some that make it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here