Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need help selecting a grass (or alternative) in my back yard.

Posted by Splittt none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 7:50

Hello GardenWeb!

I live in the greater Orlando area. I am trying to figure out what grass or ground cover to plant in my back yard. (See pic)

It don't need to want a perfect lawn (I have dogs, no irrigation, and 3 mature Seabreeze bamboo, so that isn't going to happen lol). The center part of the yard isn't shaded too heavily, as the tipuana trees are pretty good about letting a some light in. (The white house in the center of the pic behind the fence is due east, if that helps anybody figure out sun exposure.)

So, does anybody have any suggestions? All I am really looking for is tough, green ground cover or grass that will please my wife, resist dogs/bamboo/light shade, and require less water and care....that might be too tall of an order lol

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need help selecting a grass (or alternative) in my back yar

That is a hilarious request! We see it every year, too.

The only grass that comes close is St Augustine and not Floratam. If that is all the damage your dog has done, then St Aug should work. It will need deep water once per week as will ANY grass you put in. The difference with St Aug is that it's the only southern grass which will tolerate any shade. And it will tolerate a lot more than you have. Chances are you already have St Aug back there. If that's the case you can nurse that until it spreads to cover the entire area. All it needs is weekly water and mowing at the highest setting. You can mow once per week or once every 2 or 3 weeks. If you want it to fill fast, then I would fertilize with an organic fertilizer once per month. I like alfalfa pellets at 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet as a fertilizer. Get it in 50-pound bags at your local feed store - sold as rabbit chow. Apply by hand for that small area.

Water deeply once per week. Deep means a full inch as measured by several cat food or tuna cans set out in the yard. For that area I would use an oscillator sprinkler. It might take many hours to fill the cans, so don't be surprised.

Don't look now but your dog photobombed your picture.

o
RE: I need help selecting a grass (or alternative) in my back yar

Thanks for the advice! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here