Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaetanol

Large patches of dead grass and dead roots

gaetanol
16 years ago

I am facing something I have not seen in the 4 previous springs since I bought my house. I've gotten lots of great info from this site and I thought I had my lawn in good shape. It certainly looked fine at the end of last season.

My lawn is a mix of mostly KBG and PR, with some fescue. My problem is I have large patches of dead grass with varying characteristics:

I have some areas where the blades are all matted down and dried out looking. In these areas, I can just pull up the grass in clumps as if grubs ate the roots. But, when I check for grubs, I see only earch worms. Could this damage have been done by grubs over the winter? Could the grass somehow gotten smothered? Does this sound like snow mold?

In other areas, the blades just turned brown but they area not matted down. If I take this, the grass does not get pulled up in clumps, the dead blades just get pulled up individually.

I have other areas where it looks like moss is taking over and the grass is coming up in clumps (again, looks like dead roots). Does the moss kill the grass, or does something else kill the grass, then the moss takes over? Or, does the excess moisture both kill the grass roots and create an area for moss to thrive?

Comments (5)