Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Power Rake vs Dethatcher

Posted by dschribs CT (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 08 at 8:13

What is the difference between a power rake and a dethatcher. Is there any? I'm looking for something to churn up all the dead grass I have in my yard so I can reseed and someone suggested a power rake. The guy at my local rental place said that they have a dethacher and that it's the "same thing as a power rake".

Is he right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Power Rake vs Dethatcher

I don't know of a difference.

But I caution you to not do the power rake thing in moist soil, as the grass may just pull right out of the ground. Best bet would be to let it get growing this spring, mow it to about 1 to 1.5" and then power rake: that will let the debris set up on top of the nap of the lawn, where you can easily rake stuff up and get it out of there.

If this is part of a 'kill it and reseed it all' project, go ahead and do the power rake a week after roundup is applied.

o

Same machine.

o

As you probably already know, an aerator is different. But, I think a power rake and dethatcher are just different terms for the same machine. Some lawnmowers call an attachment a power rake, but, that is all together different then what most people think of when they use the term about a piece of equipment.

o

Dethatcher, Power Rake, and Vertical Mower are all the same machine.

o

Power rake and detatcher are NOT the same thing. A power rake is far superior to a simple dethatcher which only rakes up thatch. A power rake will take up 2-3 times more thatch than a dethatcher attachment. Google power rake to find out what it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here