Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Poison Ivy

Posted by knuttle z7bnc (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 8:28

What is the best way to handle poison ivy? (other that carefully)

I recently bought a wooded 3/4 acre, that has an undeveloped wooded area on two sides. In some places the poison ivy is soo thick that all you can see is poison ivy over several hundred sq.ft.

We have two young grandsons, so I would like to eliminate as much as possible.

Thank you for your comments


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Poison Ivy

Triclopyr - 2 apps, 14 days apart.


 o
RE: Poison Ivy and others

Gramps, as Cub and Boy Scout leaders, we teach the children - "If it has 3, leave it be" - for poison ivy, oak and sumac.

Show them what it looks like and teach them the dangers until you can eradicate it.


 o
RE: Poison Ivy

Gary-can us mortals buy that at retail?


 o
RE: Poison Ivy

You might test it on the kids to see if they are even allergic to it. A lot of people are not.


 o
RE: Poison Ivy

I've always had good luck using RoundUp on Poison Ivy. I use the concentrated variety and mix my own in a pump sprayer, a little stronger than what is recommended. As allergies go, the first time you touch PI, you might not get a reaction. But that doesn't mean you're immune to the oils. Your body has to produce the antibodies first. Then the next time you're exposed to PI, your body reacts to the antibodies produced and that causes the reaction.


 o
RE: Poison Ivy

It must produce the antibodies fast because the first time I got into it I got a rash. Not too bad, though, now that I think of it.

Seems to me there was a Mythbusters episode about poison ivy and none of the cast members were allergic to it.


 o
RE: Poison Ivy

Rager_W: Yes, we "mere mortals" can buy it. Triclopyr is the active ingredient in Ortho "Tough Brush and Poison Ivy Killer", and several other products.


 o
RE: Poison Ivy

Used to have a lot of PI here as well. It is not really that rugged a plant (not like wild grape). Roundup, mowing it, and just carefully pulling it out the ground beats the heck out of it.

Always wash up with detergent, not bar soap after touching PI. That gets it off. I used to use Octagon.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here