Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will seeds still grow?

Posted by DEXTERITY 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 9:29

I put down lesco dimension with fert but no nitrogen. Two weeks later (this weekend) I decided to fix the ground around one side of my house. It was sloping towards the foundation, instead of away.

I put down around and inch or two of soil over some parts of the grass. Will the seed I put down on top of the soil grow or will I have to wait until mid summer or fall to seed?

I know I took a chance, but figured I would try it and see what happens since I ended up covering up some of the grass anyways.

I am probably going to add a second round of dimension in 6 weeks and then pro scape 6 weeks after that..

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will seeds still grow?

Any grass you covered up will die. If it is not at least peeking through the soil, it will be smothered.

As for the seed, it has a great chance for sprouting now. Grass seed normally gets spread on top of the soil - that's what happens in nature. When people come along, they do all sorts of unnatural things with straw, peat moss, sand, and topsoil. I don't have a perfect understanding of the impact but it is my belief that the more covered up the seed, the less successful germination you'll get. Why? As soon as the seed germinates, it needs direct sunlight to photosynthesize and grow roots. So what you did is the best thing for seeding now. However, don't expect that new grass to make it all the way through the summer heat. That depends on where you live and what kind of summer you get.

Don't even think about seeding in the summer unless you are seeding bermuda. Fescue and Kentucky bluegrass will germinate and die immediately in the heat of summer. Wait until the end of August for the summer heat to break and night time temps to start falling.

o
RE: Will seeds still grow?

Thanks for your response.

Should I have removed the grass before covering it up? I had a feeling what didn't end up peaking through would die. However, I assumed new grass will be able to establish itself in those same spots?

Hoping I didn't mess up?

Worst case, the grass dies and I seed in the fall?

I am in NJ. The sun rises on the side of the house I am referring to.
Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here