Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aerate & Weed Stop?

Posted by notes (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 9:56

Eastern Iowa. Back yard. KB sod 6 years ago. 2 dogs. Lawn has held up very well considering, but it�s compacted. Could I aerate & put down something to keep the weeds from coming in the plug holes? Would the KB "do it�s thing" and fill in without putting down new seed? Only fertilizer I�ve ever used has been Milorganite. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aerate & Weed Stop?

Although your soil is probably not compacted, occasional aeration can benefi a KB lawn. Spring aeration should be followed up with an application of pre-emergent. Application of a slow release fertilizer (like Milorganite (or a low N, K&P fertilizer) after aeration is one way of taking advantage of the aeration.If your schedule is flexible, you may want to wait until the forsythia bloom to take full advantage of the pre-emergent and allow the fertilizer to kick-in closer to the late May recommended application date. And yes, the KB will do its thing and fill-in.

o

Thanks! Now to go find some nearby forsythia. ;=) Any suggestions for a pre-emergent (without fertilizer)?

o

Keep in mind that aerating can bring up the dormant weed seeds that may have laid there for years. Many people warn against doing it as you may see a large increase in your weed infestation.

If you feel your soil in compacted, try googling BL Soil Conditioner. In a affect, it's basically shampooing your lawn and does wonders to soften the soil. I do it and can drive a screw driver in my lawn 6" with no problems even after periods of no rain.

Suggest you look for Barricade or Dimension for your pre--emergent.

o

A respectful difference of opinion and point of clarification:
Assuming that "shampooing" is applying a surfactant; it will do next to nil for compacted soil. Compacted soil conditions are actually not very common and mechanical means (aeration) are the most effective solution.
"Hard" soil conditions are commonly misdiagnosed as compaction and "hard" soil conditions are much more common. Applying a surfactant (possibly in the form of a cheap "simple" shampoo?) can be an effective cure.
Although aeration will address both compaction and "hard" soil conditions and provide additional benefits, it is expensive and labor intensive. Applying a surfactant will not help with compaction but can cure "hard" soil conditions for less expense if the sole goal is to mitigate "hard" soil conditions.

This post was edited by yardtractor1 on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 0:06

o

I give.
I just spent an hour Googling "BL Soil Conditioner".
I can't find it
Who makes it?
or is it a homemade concoction based on shampoo?

o

No problem yardtractor, been having differences of opinions with my wife for 36 years and where still friends :)

Check this link from another lawn site. Forums discsuu the use of the "BL Soil Conditioner", as well as one called "Kelp Help". Both homemade to avoid paying triple or double for similar products.

http://aroundtheyard.com/the-news/154-soil-conditioner-and-kelp-help-plus-humates.html

Fantastic lawn input from some real soil crazies on this site.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here