Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
alfalfa pellet question

Posted by hogan_nj (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 10:00

I purchased a rabbit feed called Producers Pride @ tractor supply. It does not say alfalfa pellets in description. It just has a breakdown of crude protein etc. There are other ingred. as well. Also states has salt.
Is this what I want to use on my lawn or did I buy wrong stuff?

$13.49
In stores only

Product Reviews
OVERALL CUSTOMER RATING:

12 out of 12(100%)customers would recommend this product to a friend.
Read all 12 reviews Write a review
Follow this product

Product Description
SKU Number: 5031593

Manufacturers Number: 46821
Brand: Producer's Pride�
Animal Type: Rabbit
Life Stage: Pre-Adult to Reproducing Adults
Type: Pellet
Package Size: 50 lb.
Description
Reviews
Please check your store for local pricing & availability. Click here to find your store.

Producer's Pride� Rabbit Feed is a15%-protein feed and the economical answer to producing up to five litters of bunnies per doe per year. Well fortified with essential nutrients, this small pellet helps to minimize waste and maximize intake by adults and young bunnies alike.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 15%, Crude Fat (min.) 1.8%, Crude Fiber (min.) 15%, Crude Fiber (max.) 18.5%, Calcium (Ca) (min.) .7%, Calcium (Ca) (max.) 1.2%, Phosphorus (P) (min.) .4%, Salt (NaCl) (min.) .25%, Salt (NaCl) (max.) .75%, Vitamin A (min.) 3000 IU/lb, Ruminant meat and bone meal free.

Feeding instructions:
Recommendations in oz. of feed per rabbit per day. Feeding rates are based on New Zealand sized rabbit. Adjust accordingly for other breeds. Needs of lactating does may be quite high if nursing large litters.
Mature maintenance/early/mid gestation: 3.0-4.0 (dry does and bucks)
Growing: free choice (bunnies)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: alfalfa pellet question

Anyone?

o

That's fine. There's only enough salt to attract rabbits to eat it. Alfalfa is a durable plant that produces easy protein without much processing. That's why it is used as a feed. It is not like wild animals would mow it down because it is so tasty. That is why they add salt and/or molasses to make it "palatable". Horses love molasses soaked feed so the larger pellets are almost dripping with molasses.

If this is a feed store you're buying from, ask if they have plain alfalfa pellets the same size for a cheaper price. My feed store has a difference of $3 per bag between regular alfalfa and rabbit chow. I always talk about rabbit feed because more people know what that looks like than alfalfa pellets. Alfalfa pellets for horses are the size of your thumb and not great for home gardening.

o

Thanks, getting some rain on tues. nite so I will spread it durning the day. The only other feed they had was the huge alfalfa pellets for horses.

o

Remember it takes 3 full weeks for the lawn to respond. Reason for that is the alfalfa has to decompose by the microbes and other microbes have to decompose the surface microbes and finally, somewhere in the soil food web, plant food is made. Then, all of the sudden, you'll see the grass convert to really great looking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here