Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn frustrations-- moss, weeds, dead grass HELP!

Posted by ksviatko 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 12 at 10:06

Good morning!
I really don't even know where to start. I've done many searches but get a LOT of conflicting information, so I figured I'd post here to see what you all think.

We live in the NW Suburbs of Chicago. (Zone 5). My 1/4 acre lawn is on a slope. The West side of the house yard is mostly moss, dead grass, cloves, bumps, and weeds. Creeping charlie, wild violets, dandelions, you name it- it's there. The front (north) side of the house is on a major slope with dead grass, creeping charlie, and it slopes downward, so when it rains the little grass I do have looks like it has been run over.

We are on a very limited budget, and I've tried it all. We've done the "lawn tonics", used some of the "Anytime" Scott's fertilizer, and hand pulled weeds. It is so terrible and quite an embarrassment. I might add that we also have about 25 trees or so (hickory and oaks), and we've already removed 12 of them.

We have very acidic soil. I've contemplated ripping the whole yard out and starting from scratch, but I don't want the same problem to happen again.

I do believe thatch is a problem. Is it too late to de-thatch and aerate? If we do de-thatch, should we rent a de-thatcher, or attach a blade to the lawn? Many searches that I've done say if you de-thatch, you need to mow the lawn first. Well, there's nothing to mow! It's so thin, short, and mossy.

I know having a beautiful lawn is time consuming, which I don't mind, but being on a very limited budget seems to be hurting the most.

Any ideas, thoughts, advice is much appreciated! Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn frustrations-- moss, weeds, dead grass HELP!

Well I'm sure Garyinchicago will chime in soon since he is practically a neighbor, but I will give my two cents. First step, get your soil tested professionally (if you haven't already done so). You say your pH is very low. This isn't conducive to having nice grass. You need to lime, but of course without a good soil test, you need to know which lime to use. It will probably be calcitic as most people are deficient in calcium, but you never know. So while you are waiting for your soil test you need to either kill the weeds, or else they will go to seed. If you don't want to kill the weeds because you will be left with just dirt, then mow them as you would a lawn, this will reduce the seed production. Applying a preemergent now will kill any weed seeds as they germinate. Use something that lasts 3 months so you can seed in late summer. Kill off your moss now with Moss Out liquid. It is an iron solution, non toxic, and very effective. The moss will turn black and decompose over time. Once you get your soil test back, you need to get all the nutrient levels up to snuff, and this includes raising your organic matter levels, so you might as well start applying organic fertilizers at a pretty high rate, once a month minimum. In July you will be killing everything and planting good grass seed. You can do this with Round-up, or Solarization, although solarization takes 2 months, and really needs a lot of sun to work well. So again, soil test now (www.loganlabs.com, $20 basic test) and mow or kill your weeds.

o
RE: Lawn frustrations-- moss, weeds, dead grass HELP!

Hi, ksviatko! Tiemco has given a lot of great information. We noticed that you said you're on a limited budget. With that in mind, Spectracide products are perfect for your weed control issues. Our products will give you the long-lasting weed control you need and they're priced for limited budgets. Spectracide® Weed Stop® for Lawns would be an ideal solution for your weed control issues.

You can find more information at http://www.spectracide.com/Products-and-
Solutions/Weed-Stop.aspx And you can pick it up at most retailers, including Lowe's, The Home Depot and Walmart.

We also recently made some entertaining videos that bring the performance of our products to life. You can find those, more information and even a $2 rebate at https://www.facebook.com/Spectracide

Hope this helps!
Spectracide Expert

Here is a link that might be useful: Spectracide info and special offers on Facebook

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here