Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cesmode

Moss on lawn -- tips?

cesmode
11 years ago

Hey there.

So Im at a bit of a dilemma. I have a small but steap hill that leads to my driveway. It normally is pretty shaded once the leaves return, and has a fair amount of run-off water from time to time when it rains. After the several small snow storms we had this winter, I recently noticed moss overtaking that area, probably, in total a 20 by 20 foot area(guess).

I bought one of those Soil Testers(Burpee brand) from Home Depot to test out the soil PH. I checked several areas of the lawn, even the area where the dog urinates. The needle always moved into the 'Ideal' area of the gauge.

Im guessing that the moss is simply growing because of the wet conditions we had, and the fact that this area is typically a bit more damp than normal, plus the shade it receives.

I dont want to have to lime if I dont need to. I was planning on simply fertalizing or Weed and Feed(like I normally do in spring). Will this take care of it? I want to get rid of the moss, and replace it with grass. But I dont want to rake up the moss and leave bare dirt and regrow everything from scratch. I have several patches in my lawn that I will be doing that, and I dont want to go through the entire seeding process on this 20x20 foot area/slope.

Thoughts? Tips?

Comments (7)

• tiemco
    11 years ago

Moss thrives in shady, damp, cool areas. It also likes acidic soil, but that's not a requirement. It is an opportunist, it moves into or spreads into areas of little competition. You won't have moss in a healthy stand of grass. If the grass thins, then the moss will move in to take it's place. Does this area receive enough sun for grass? How many hours of sun does it receive when the trees are leafed out? To kill moss I use a product called Moss Out. It's a liquid iron solution that's cheap, easy to use, and harmless to you and your grass. Weed control products aren't used for moss. If you want to seed the area, you will have to have bare dirt. You don't seed over moss or other plants. Those soil pH testers don't work as well as a soil test. If you want to know for sure if your soil pH is ideal, then get a soil test (www.loganlabs.com). Liming is necessary to raise low pH. If your soil is very acidic then that will make it harder to grow healthy grass, since low pH is a sign of soil imbalance. I didn't bother testing my soil years ago. Then I got a soil test, and discovered my pH was around 5.0, which is one of the reasons why I had a sub par lawn with plenty of moss. Once I started correcting my soil, and used the appropriate shade tolerant grasses, then the moss went away.

• apprenticegardener
    11 years ago

It occurs to me to ask how vital it is that this area have grass? You could get grass to grow if you nullified the moisture and shade characteristics you describe, but even at that, you would be left with 400 square feet of lawn on the side of a hill to mow.

Maybe you should go with what nature is telling you about the area--that it is shady and moist--and plant a groundcover and/or some shrubs that would like the setting. Another idea would be to start a rock garden, or even to add a water feature (water running downhill is highly sought--it sounds like you have a natural setting for it).

Just some thoughts. Best Wishes--Carl

• turfboy
    11 years ago

Moss does not have a vascular system therefore weed killer will not work. You can manually remove it with a hard rake. You will need to get grass in there growing asap to out compete the moss coming back. As stated check your ph.

• gsweater
    11 years ago

"Maybe you should go with what nature is telling you about the area--that it is shady and moist--and plant a groundcover and/or some shrubs that would like the setting. Another idea would be to start a rock garden, or even to add a water feature (water running downhill is highly sought--it sounds like you have a natural setting for it).

Just some thoughts. Best Wishes--Carl"

+1 Carl!!

• cesmode
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, sorry for the delayed response.

@Carl, thanks for the ideas. I just dont know if 'decorating' that area would look nice, or even natural. The moss is on the top/flat part of the hill, and then down along the slope in a wide area.

@everyone, When home tree (this enormous 150 yr old tree) is leafed out, that portion gets shady. To rake up all of that moss, reseed and and keep up with the watering for 1-2 months in that large of an area, is going to be a chore. And if it does not work out, I am left with a hill that is half grass half hideous looking dirt. It may or may not work out because of rain water run off and/or shade(if we have one or two big storms this spring then the planting area will be destroyed. Ive seen it happen in other parts of the lawn),

Maybe I will just have to suck it up, rake and do it.

question: why would I put down moss out if I can just rake up the moss and get down to the dirt easier?

• auteck
    11 years ago

The easiest and most effective way to get rid of moss is by raking it and re-seeding, forget herbicides.

A thick stand of grass will prevent it from coming back.

• cesmode
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats going to be a lot of dirt that is showing with no garuntee that I'll be able to get grass growing. I grew a small patch of grass in that area last spring. It actually came in nicely and was full. But because of runoff and shade, it is now moss.

I did lime a week ago, but that wont take effect for a long time I think.