Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsm_in_atlanta

mixing bermuda - 419 and TifGrand, pros and cons etc.

DSM_in_Atlanta
10 years ago

Hello,

Some of you remember my posts from last season when I needed help with my lawn after I had sodded a portion that was completely void of grass when I purchased my home. The existing grass is your standard bermuda 419 variety. When I was purchasing the sod I was told about TifGrand and how it was a new hybrid that tolerated shade better. I tried to research the possibility of mixing these two and found a few people who had without any issues. I believe 'ragerw' on this site did the same thing. After a few months of following the bermuda bible last season the yard ended up looking really great:

{{gwi:85877}}

It was nearly impossible to tell where the old and new grass started. Fast forward to now and I did the first 'almost-scalped' cut of the season a few weeks ago. The grass is starting to green up but it is taking much longer for the TifGrand to green up. Here is how it looks today:

{{gwi:85878}}

I know that it will catch up when the soil warms up (we have morning temps in the 40s right now) but I hate that it looks like this now. Did I make a mistake by mixing these two types of bermuda? Seems like there aren't many out there who have. Is this maybe also a result of the root system not being as established as the rest of the existing lawn? I guess my only hope is that the two types blend together and make it a little less obvious where I added sod.

Comments (2)