Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
striped lawn?

Posted by coeng NE NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 10:40

In very early March I applied Jonathon Greene Mag-i-Cal. A few weeks later it seemed like my lawn was getting the slight appearance of bands of slight green.

At the very end of March I noticed that everyone's lawn in my neighborhood was greening up more than mine so I applied JG crabgrass preventer with Greenup.

Now it seems the bands are more pronounced than before. I used a drop spreader for both applications. Could it be that I rushed the Mag-i-cal application and didn't make tight passes? It was hard to judge where to make each pass because we've had a very dry Spring here in NJ and the grass is well, dry and wheelmarks from the spreader are not very visible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: striped lawn?

What rate did you apply the lime?

And yes, if you didn't overlap per the drop spreader's instructions, you left gaps.

Pics?

o

will it even out over time, or should I apply the Mag-i-cal to the lighter areas to even it out?

o

"will it even out over time, or should I apply the Mag-i-cal to the lighter areas to even it out?

Ah, I don't know.

I don't know how much lime or fertilizer you applied. Did a soil test call for lime?

Then, I don't know if an over application of lime caused chlorosis, and lighter stripes. Or if an over application of fertilizer caused dark stripes.

I'll bow out to more experienced peoples.

o

Sorry. Meant to also reply to the "Will it even out?" question.

Yes. Eventually it will.

Above post was in regards to corrective measures, which I'm unsure about.

o

Here's a photo of what it looks like from a 2nd floor bedroom. The yellow diagonal line is a result of a recent cable burial. The striping was noticed before I added the greenup.

o

Absolutely over fertilized, I have seen that many times, it will mellow out. Another fert will speed that up

o

"Absolutely over fertilized, I have seen that many times, it will mellow out. Another fert will speed that up"

Read:

"The striping was noticed before I added the greenup."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here