Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Mowing

Posted by notes (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 10:45

Established KBG. Eastern Iowa. Grass is waking up. First mowing: Fairly low? Bag or mulch? Leave it alone for awhile? I keep it @ 3+" & mulch it during the summer. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Mowing

Mowing at 2 1/2 inches or slightly lower in the Spring can help with KB spreading and fill-in. Unless you have signs of disease (snow mold etc.) or weed seed heads, mulching is preferable.

o

I agree. Grass types which go dormant (brown) in the winter seem to need a light trim to get a little bit of that old brown stuff off and let the sunlight in.

o

I have a tttf lawn renovated last September. It started growing a few weeks ago but so did the winter annuals. I have a small chickweed infestation and they were sending flowers up everywhere. I mowed and bagged at 2" to remove all the flowers.

I say now to 2" and let it rip.

o

Notes wrote, "Leave it alone for awhile?"
======
======

Hi Notes, and everyone else from last year :-)

Notes, I'd follow David's advice. I started my mowing this season a bit late, and found that my mower's highest setting would scalp the Rebels TTTF and gorgeous 1970's cultivar of Kentucky Bluegrass I have in the backyard (wish I knew what that cultivar from the '70's is). I learned I could tinker with the wheel setting levers to get my mower's blade height even higher than its regular maximum height. In fact, I was able to get the mower's blade about 0.6 inches higher, which is quite a bit higher than the max setting. But even that wasn't high enough to prevent some scalping.

So I actually layed down long pieces of wooden two-by-fours (2x4's) and used the wood like rails on which my mower's 4 wheels rode on!! It worked very well to my surprise :-)

This post was edited by ZoysiaSod on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 23:33

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here