Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with my 'lawn'

Posted by bonez318ti 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 10:47

Hello all,

I moved into a new home late last summer, however i neglected the lawn - (it wasnt all that great to begin with), but we had some dry weather and I only sporatically watered. Late last summer/early fall, I began to see alot of weeds come up.. I dutifully pulled them up.. but this spring, it looks like most of my lawn is dead.

I looked into a couple of lawn services, and both of them said they could come kill whatever is there and seed a new lawn. Alittle research shows that its alittle early/cool for proper germination of seeds - so that makes me question whether they really have my interest in mind.

Since my property is pretty small, I am considering going about it myself.

There are three main sections of my lawn - and represent their own challenges.

Section 1: this portion of the lawn probably had the best looking grass when I moved in - although i think it was probably recently seeded (maybe less than 1-2 yrs old) as I think the previous tenant took down a deck. The grass looks like its all dead and comes up easily when I am raking, no greenery except for a few weeds. There are also low areas that I would like to flatten. For what it is worth, this area tends to get alot of shade - and there are alot of roots underneath this area from the surrounding trees. What is the best way to go about attacking this area (I started to rake things up) - would raking the area, putting topsoil in the low areas, and spreading seed/watering suffice? or would I need to areate the area?

Section 2: This area had some grass, but by the late summer, it was probably 75% weeds. When I rake, the area everything comes up in clumps - there is a slight grade going away from the vantage point of the photo, and also has some low areas this section also goes around the house, that area has alot of moss, that also comes up easily when raked -

Section 3: Front yard - fairly shady, alot of moss, big oak tree in the front yard (for some reason, the grass grows great near the base of the tree, but in the surrounding area, it gets really mossy - there is also an area that appears to have been filled in at some point with low quality fill (sandy, some rocks) and nothing grew there except for alot of weeds - There is also a steep slope from the property down to the street - whats the best way to handle the slope? Will a lawn take hold there, or will it get washed away? (there is also some roots exposed and probably some erosion).

below are some pics - whats the best way to attack this? I m in no hurry - wouldnt mind attacking a section at a time if this is going to be a huge job. Should I just hire this out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with my 'lawn'

section 2 - sorry for all the leaves - I just raked them out from under the bushes and am waiting for them to dry before shredding.

o

section 3 - front lawn

o

mossy area - should I just rake this up? Is this a nutrient problem? (Im sure most of the water./nutrients are going to the root system of the oaks?)

o

slope away from property - what to do with this area?

o

rocky/sandy area that was likely filled in with some cheap fill - what to do with this area to get anything beside weeds here? mix in some compost or peat moss?

o

You bought last year. Some sellers will seed or over-seed their lawns with inexpensive annual rye grass. Fast growing AND inexpensive. Leaves the buyer with an issue for the next summer. More often than not, in my experience and the U MD Extension Service a lawn not artificially watered during the heat of summer will recover on its own.

Best of luck.

o

Can you show the view of the house from the street?

I'd re-think the whole lawn idea and see what you can do without grass.

If you have "a lot of shade and a lot of roots" ... the best lawn for that area may be a deck.

Out front, make flower beds, widen the walkway and consider expanding the front porch into a terrace.

Add some low retaining walls and shrubs and perennials on that slope.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here