Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alhhaois

Need help on which direction to go

alhhaois
11 years ago

The lawn in the front of my property is in pretty bad shape and I am looking to make a decision now on which way to go with it. There are 2 factors that negatively affect the growing of grass. I have a few large White pine trees on either side which a) throw alot of shade b) needles contribute to problems with grass.

Currently there is almost equal parts grass / moss which is my lead in to a decision needing to be made.

if I try to contral the moss and go full bore on working the grass back in, there is no guarantee that it will take. Then the time & money would have been a waste.

My other option is to embrace the moss and soil conditions, go away from grass and institute beds, groundcover and mulch.

My first question is for help in identifying the type of grass that seems to be doing the best at this point. I am thinking it is some type of Bermuda just by the looks. The attached pictures are from this AM - in it's dormant state.

I am in Central Jersey. I have soil test kit that I am sending into Rutgers soon to get an idea of the levels. It's easy to see that they are high on the acid side but I figure I would to need to know how much.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment (1)