Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clumps of dirt on lawn?

Posted by chrisgv Ontario, Canada (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 11:03

Anybody know what would cause this? This is my first spring in my new home. In the summer, this wasn't here. It's almost like something is pushing the dirt up from underneath. Maybe it's just water draining?

I've included a gallery of images here:
http://imgur.com/a/6euxF

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn Gallery

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clumps of dirt on lawn?

looks like moles. press them down by standing on them and see if they come back up. Moles make tunnels under the ground and they will "re-push" the dirt up to keep their tunnels clear.

Besides tunnels, they do produce mounds.

o

Moles?! I'll try stamping them down tonight and see what happens.

Besides moles, any other theories?

o

That's what they look like when I had them in my yard. By the way, just step on a couple of parts if they are mound tunnels, don't smash down the whole length. You just want to cave it in a bit so they tunnel back through it.

I snagged one last year with a cool little trap called the tomcat. About $20 at Lowe's. Before that, couldn't get rid of them. There is all kinds of gadgets and theories of how to get rid of them. This is the only one that worked for me.

They say killing there food source, worms and grubs, is another way as they will leave the area, but I preferred to actually see one dead for proof.

o

There wasn't really any mounds that I saw last night. Also, all the muddy areas are bare of grass. If something was pushing up from underneath, wouldn't the grass still be there?

o

No Chris. When a mole tunnels they stop in certain areas and build the "nest" per say. That's usually a clump of dirt.

Of course, this depends on how thick you grass is.

o

I tried traps, poisons, everything. The way I finally got rid of mine was to use a product called "The Giant Destroyer." It looks like a huge firecracker. Essentially, you wait until you see activity at one of the holes, light it, drop it in, and cover the hole. It fills the tunnel with smoke, killing anything in it. I haven't had moles in 3 years now. You can pick them up at HD. Good luck with whatever method you try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here