Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
humdogj

Zone 5a Too early fertilizer? Crabgrass?

humdogj
9 years ago

Good morning. I am inquiring as to when would be the appropriate time to apply some weed & feed, or crabgrass preventer. I had some damage from voles and winter mold (I believe), I'm in Zone 5a, Fox Cities area of Wisconsin.

I was talking to my neighbor and he said he overseeded and weed & feeded just last week. I was thinking that it might be early for the seed considering we could still get some cold, frost-filled nights. Plus, I thought the weed&feed might affect the germination of the grass seed. No?

I put some of the Scott's Lawnfood on last fall and I have some nice green areas. I believe the grass right on one side of my house has grown a little from the sun being warm on that side.

I'm probably going to put some Milorgranite down this weekend, but wanted to make sure I'm not too late on some weed and feed. I have to rake up some of the winter kill but didn't want to expose the soil underneath to sunlight so weeds don't start growing there.

My lawn is predominantly KBG (Reinders Deluxe 50 grass seed) and was planted last year. It's doing better than I thought, but coming out of winter, it looks a little rough and this makes me a little depressed...ahhh, the life!

Thanks.

Comment (1)