Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 5a Too early fertilizer? Crabgrass?

Posted by humdogj 5a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 11:11

Good morning. I am inquiring as to when would be the appropriate time to apply some weed & feed, or crabgrass preventer. I had some damage from voles and winter mold (I believe), I'm in Zone 5a, Fox Cities area of Wisconsin.

I was talking to my neighbor and he said he overseeded and weed & feeded just last week. I was thinking that it might be early for the seed considering we could still get some cold, frost-filled nights. Plus, I thought the weed&feed might affect the germination of the grass seed. No?

I put some of the Scott's Lawnfood on last fall and I have some nice green areas. I believe the grass right on one side of my house has grown a little from the sun being warm on that side.

I'm probably going to put some Milorgranite down this weekend, but wanted to make sure I'm not too late on some weed and feed. I have to rake up some of the winter kill but didn't want to expose the soil underneath to sunlight so weeds don't start growing there.

My lawn is predominantly KBG (Reinders Deluxe 50 grass seed) and was planted last year. It's doing better than I thought, but coming out of winter, it looks a little rough and this makes me a little depressed...ahhh, the life!

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 5a Too early fertilizer? Crabgrass?

Time to put down a pre-emergent iswhen the forsythia bloom. The AI in most pre-emergents will preclude overseeding for up to 120 days.
Spray-on weed killers like Weed B Gone by Ortho are better alternatives than granulars like Weed and Feed by Scotts. Read the instruction on whatever product you choose for proper application and advisories regarding overseeding.
When applying early Spring fertilizer, keep the total monthly N application to less than one pound per thousand square feet form all sources (Milorganite, Weed and Feed, pre-emergent etc.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here