Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overseeding After Applying Weed Killer

Posted by njgardener_2007 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 11:42

Last Tuesday we applied Ortho Weed Killer (spray attached to the garden hose) on the entire lawn. We wanted to spread seed on the bare spots but weren't sure how long we have to wait. We dont want the weed killer to kill the grass seeds.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overseeding After Applying Weed Killer

I cant remember the instructions for every product out there but typically a three week waiting period before seeding is suggested after weed killing products. Read and follow the label instructions carefully. Try to keep your seeded bare spots damp for a few weeks after planting. Fertilize appropriately. Bill Hill

o

NJgardener_2007,

Do you still have the bottle? Normally, the label will contain that information.

I know with a total kill products (meaning it kills all plants, not just weeds) like Roundup (except the long-lasting type) you can normally seed the next day -- even says so on the label.

But for Ortho Weed Killer, I'd suggest reading the label. If you don't have the bottle, you can normally find the labels for such products online in the form of a pdf file.

o

Thanks for the replies. Yes I did find the bottle and it says to wait a minimum of 3 weeks before seeding. Thats a long time - but will obviously have to wait if i want to see any results from the seeding. Thanks again for the prompt and accurate responses!

o

One thing to point out is that when you've waited the three weeks, you'll be into early to mid May. If you plant KBG, it'll be late May to early June by the time the grass comes up, so you'll probably lose a lot of it to the summer heat. You may be able to keep more of it alive if you water enough, but you might be better off waiting to reseed until fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here