Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerreth13

Help with lawn! New York

Jerreth13
10 years ago

I recently bought a house that had been empty for three years and the yard is a disaster. It is probably 40%+ weeds or bare patches, roughly 40 x 30 feet with dense shade on half of it from a weeping willow on the neighbors lot. Looks like a mix of fescue, some KBG, and Rye (I think) with many different weeds ( crabgrass, nutsledge, dandelions, clover of some kind and other broadleaf weeds)

I over seeded last fall with a sun mix on1/2 the yard and a shade mix on the other then used a new grass fertilizer. Grass grew fairly well on the sunny side but the shade side came in and died (I think the willow sucked all the water out of the soil)

I am wondering should I treat with a weed killer first ( is it to late for a pre-emergent killer already, soil Temp 55 degrees) or should I reseed now then use a feed and seed in 4-6 weeks (or another weed killer). The shade mix I have is fescue mostly, the sun and shade mix is creeping fescue, rye and Kentucky blue grass.

Any help is appreciated with the above and general tips, like watering etc. I am temped to just lay sod but I may be removing the Yew hedges that boarder the yard and build a fence so likely would not want to sod till then.

Comments (5)