Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizer, crabgrass preventer and weed killer timing?

Posted by randalboone Zone 5 Indiana (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 12:20

I aerated, dethatched, overseeded tuff turf fescue, and layed starter fertilizer on March 22nd. I have new grass growing in most targeted areas although it is kind of thin. The amount of weeds now growing in my yard is heavy. Not sure what and when I should put down fertilizer, crabgrass preventer, weed and feed, or spot weed killer? We have experienced an inordinate amount of rain during the last 4 weeks. Any help would be appreciated. Thx,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizer, crabgrass preventer and weed killer timing?

I would add another dose of starter at the end of May. The only crabgrass preventer you can use now is Tupersan, and it won't be effective against other weeds that have yet to germinate except foxtail, and downy brohme. All the others like Dimension, Halts, Barricade will affect your new turf. Weed killers can't be used on your new turf until is has been mowed at least two times, and four would be much better.

o

I went ahead and spread granular weed killer only on 5/10. Now I am wondering if I should spread normal fertilizer, starter fertilizer, or weed and feed?

o

Is it too late for weed and feed? I'm getting a new wave of weeds and because I planted new grass in spring I have only applied starter fertilizer and also weed killer about 8 weeks ago.

o

Ouch. It's getting quite warm for some of that. I'm assuming that you have bluegrass or fescue - both of which - but especially fescue - if over-fertilized, will be more susceptible to brown patch.

If it were me I would spot treat with a liquid selective herbicide like Weed-B-Gone or something that is labeled for use on the weeds you want to kill. You should wait for the coolest day possible, and spray carefully, knowing that it could also kill the grass. Also, with warmer temperatures, spray can volatile and drift to non-target plants (i.e. trees, flowers, shrubs) very easily.

o

Don't apply WBG when it's too warm. I think the label says not to use it if daytime highs are above 85. But check the label because I may be wrong.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here