Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lawncub

Aeriating, power raking and overseeding

Lawncub
10 years ago

We live in East Central Nebraska and had a horrible drought last year. I was thinking about aeriating, then broadcasting the grass seed, then power raking the grass seed in. The ground isn't 50 degrees yet, so I would like to do the work around the last week in April. Is this a good way to get the seed in the ground or what would be the best way? Also could we put a starter fertilizer down about the same time? Last year we were afraid that fertilizer would burn the grass so we didn't put any fertilizer down.

Thanks

Comments (2)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

The right way to do this is to do it in the late summer to early fall. If you do it now, you will germinate every crabgrass seed in the lawn. By July you will be in full weeds.

Everyone else had a drought too, but we watered the lawn. Did you not water? Because if you are unwilling to water the lawn, you might be in the wrong forum. You might be better off in a prairie grass forum.

• grass1950
    10 years ago

Power raking with a fixed blade machine (sometimes rented as a slit-seeder, verticutter, verti-slicer or power rake) can be very beneficial in the seeding process. Take heed of dchall's advice.
    David. Are you aware that Scotts has come out with a starter fertilizer with mesotrione? (they also have one with siduron) I can't recommend it yet, as I've only just started a small area to experiment.