Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohgucci

Is it too soon to mow this?

OhGucci
10 years ago

Hi everyone :-)

I purchased my first home last October. The sellers moved out in August so that was the last time the lawn had been mowed. After I closed in October, I was so consumed with doing work INSIDE of my home, that I neglected the yard and never got a chance to mow it before the snow came (I live in the south west suburbs of Chicago).

My issue is, I'm not sure if its too soon to mow my yard for the first time. As you can see in the pic, some parts are much longer than others, and all of the grass has not started to stand up yet. We racked the yard yesterday to try and get the grass to stand up more but its probably just too cold. Temperatures have been in the upper 50s, low 60s.

I was told that before I could aerate, seed, and fertilize that I needed to cut my grass down first, since it has grown so long. I think some of the longest parts of the grass are about 4"-5"

What are your thoughts on whether or not I should mow now, or wait? Could I possibly mow the longer sections of grass for now, so that I'm able to aerate, seed, and fertilize?

Comments (3)