Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need Gypsum?

Posted by meatballsub TX-8 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 12:30

I was recently told to apply gypsum as my clay soil is sodic. I am in Zone 8, TX. I assume it is sodic from the irrigation system - our tap water is sodic. I don't know if we usually get enough rain to wash out the sodium, but last year I did a lot of irrigation because of little rainfall, so sodium could be high because of that.

Gypsum is $10 for a 40 lb bag - I would need 7 bags to do my yard at 40lb/1000sf and it was said 2 treatments would be the minimum necessary. $70 seems like a lot for one treatment, as I can do two years of fertilizer with that money.

I found the gypsum magic myth below, but it still seems I may need it for my specific conditions.

The lawn doesn't look bad, but it could always be better. Any visual indicators that I could use to help decide if I need to apply this gypsum?

Here is a link that might be useful: the myth of gypsum magic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need Gypsum?

I didn't read the link, but I've read other things by Chalker-Scott. She tends to paint with a broad brush.

Gypsum is sometimes oversold as a magic cure-all, which it isn't. It helps a certain type of clay (sodic). If you've got sodic clay, it will help you. The "problem" with it is that it's sold as a cure for clay even in areas that have clay that isn't sodic where it does no good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here