Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davessels

Anyone else plant RTF Fescue Seed?

Debra Vessels
9 years ago

I planted RTF Spreading Fescue seed on April 11, overseeding where the Bermuda would not grow under the trees. I did amend the soil, loosening it up a bit, the covered the seed with 1/4" of good topsoil. I put wire fencing down where the dog loved to dig, to keep him off the the seed, and have watered well. We had a freeze and snow on the 14th the lawn was literally an ice pond. I was concerned if the seed would germinate, I kept watering for 10 minutes, two times a day, we finally got some 70-80 degree temps this week, to my delight, yesterday I see that my seed has germinated quite well. Having no planting instructions, , since I have overseeded, I have tall fescue and Bermuda growing that will need mowing soon. With the water and higher temps they are growing like crazy. How long do I need to wait before I can mow the new Fescue. I can mow around it for now. Has anyone else planted this seed and when did you first mow it? The picture was taken the day I seeded Thanks, Debra

Comments (2)

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

First of all would you please keep us informed as to how well this grass performs for you? Nobody has ever mentioned it before.

RTF fescue is a hybrid variety that spreads.

You can mow it as soon as it gets up to 5 inches. Then you can mow it back to 4 inches. Unfortunately this grass needs the opposite care from bermuda. Bermuda likes to be mowed very low. Bermuda needs fertilizer once per month while the fescue only needs 3x per year. Both need weekly water in the summer heat.

Where are you in the Panhandle? I lived in Pampa for a couple years.

• Debra Vessels
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I am in Borger, I purchased the grass seed from Panhandle Greenhouses in Amarillo. I was very excited to hear of a fescue that spread, so I decided to try it in my shaded side yard, plus, it is supposed to hold up well under traffic, as this is the only lawn that our two small busy dogs have access to from their dog door. It is on the west side of the house, but because of the fence on the west, the trees, and the house shading it in the morning it really doesn't get enough sun for the Bermuda. I realize that there will be some confliction between the bermuda and the fescue. But I think it is worth a shot, and better than just having dirt. I think I can mow them both at about 3", some websites said I could mow the fescue to two inches, but of course a little higher in the heat of the summer. We do have a sprinkler system, so I am not too concerned about watering. I am hoping the Fescue will be drought tolerant as advertised. I will keep everyone informed of the progress. I am also anxious to see if it is a fine tall fescue or clumping, as I have read many reviews that it is both, under what conditions I am not sure. I am not concerned if it browns a bit in the heat, we will just have to wait and see. We have a beautiful Bermuda tiff of some sort in the front yard and it takes a lot of water in the heat of the summer to keep it green. I only fertilize 3 times a year, and I use "Activate" at the same time, we usually have a healthy lawn, so I think we will be ok. I will just be happy if we have grass instead of dirt.
    Debra